lodging right in vail village?

Feb 6th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

lodging right in vail village?

i've been researching all weekend for 2 br condos in vail village for a July vacation. This will be our first time in vail--with another couple--then to aspen. Everyone tells me that we should stay right in the village--even by looking at the maps, i can't tell if its in the village or the outskirts--i've looked at Manor Vail, the Lodge at Vail, Vail Cascade Resort & spa. Does anyone know of a good management co. which manages condos? Is Lionshead part of vail village?We want a condo with a pool and hot tub, a balcony, nice views, Gore Creek properties?? Also it seems that just about every property is undergoing renovation--should we go to beaver creek instead? HELP!
Feb 7th, 2007, 08:02 AM

Vail Village and Lionshead are undergoing MAJOR renovations. We stay in Beaver Creek but go to Vail alot for dinner and the Ford Ampitheater. I don't know much about mgmt companies in Vail but in Beaver Creek The Charter and The St. James have very nice condos. Also Elkhorn Lodge and The Pines are very nice. I think you can call the general number for Beaver Creek Resort and get info on all kinds of properties.
Feb 7th, 2007, 11:51 AM
MaureenB

If Vail Village and Lionshead are under major construction, staying at Beaver Creek would probably be better-- certainly quieter, more dust-free, etc. It's also a pretty setting.
>-

Feb 8th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that advice. I didn't realize the whole city was under construction. Maybe we should just spend the whole week in aspen with a one day stop to see vail & area?? Will we be missing much? Is Beaver Creek a nice destination in itself, or do most go there to see Vail?
Feb 8th, 2007, 04:50 PM
MaureenB

Aspen in July is an even better idea, IMHO. Check out the live music that might be there then. They have music festivals under a big tent below the town of Aspen, and they can be fantastic. A big classical one, a jazz one, a pop/rock one, etc. Plus lots of great condos with views right in Aspen itself. Not terribly expensive in the summer.
>-

Feb 8th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

We might just do aspen for the whole week. What day trips might we take from there? We don't love to drive long distances. In your opinion, if we were to choose one more place to spend a couple of nights, or somewhat of a different flavor, where would it be?
we are flying in from Denver--would have to be somewhat on the way --have already been to Estes.
Feb 8th, 2007, 07:56 PM

We have skied in Vail every winter for the past 30 years, and we'll be there in just a couple of weeks. Yes, there is major construction going on in both the Village and Lionshead. It is mostly limited to the lift-loading areas at the base of the mountain, but summer is always construction time in ski areas as winter construction is difficult and expensive.

Beaver Creek is beautiful, but its village is small and compact. If being within walking distance of shops and restaurants is not as important as views and access to hiking, you could also consider the Bachelor Gulch area adjacent to Beaver Creek.

If you decide to stay in Vail, I'd opt for the Village Core area over Lionshead. Manor Vail and especially The Lodge are very nice. We've stayed in beautiful condos in the Village Center which is a multi-story building overlooking Gore Creek and the mountain but has no pool. We've also stayed in condos at Villa Valhalla which is a small complex with a pool.

Vail Cascade Resort is not near Vail Village but is on the town bus route.
Feb 9th, 2007, 07:54 AM
MaureenB

Vail is on your way to Aspen, so it would make sense to arrive in Denver, get your car and head to Vail/Beaver Creek for a night or two. If you're interested in Vail it would be easy to do.

Glenwood Springs is also on your way, but it's so close to Aspen, you could do it as a day-trip if you want.

In the Aspen area, there's lots to do. Go to the Maroon Bells one day. It's beautiful there and an easy walk around. There's great fishing near Aspen. Also very nice raft trips. But the water will be lower in July and some river areas closed, but you can probably still do a float trip.

It doesn't sound like you like to drive, so you might not be interested in this drive back to Denver: over Independence Pass. It's a beautiful pass, but very windy and narrow. Not for the faint of heart. It actually is a faster route back to Denver.
>-

Feb 9th, 2007, 09:57 AM
MaureenB

I mean the Independence Pass road is curvy/windy, not blowing wind windy!

Feb 13th, 2008, 05:31 PM

Vail Cascade is just a bit west of Lionshead and a bit more west of Vail Village proper. It is not as far away from Vail as Beaver Creek. Vail Cascade operates its own shuttle- -take it from the Vail Transportation Center to Vail Cascade- -3 minutes and one stop as opposed to town shuttle, which does not go all the way to Vail Cascade, at least not at peak of ski season. Vail Cascade is a good way to get a full service condo/hotel room very close to Vail and Lionshead but enough away from the construction so as not to be awakened by it. Just returned from second visit there.
Feb 13th, 2008, 07:13 PM

Didn't real all of the above so pardon any repeats. Vail has been under construction forever so definitely consider Beaver Creek. IMO, the Hyatt is THE best. For a fun over night Boulder is quirky and interesting and the Cherry section of Denver is great.
Feb 14th, 2008, 07:25 PM

Vail is undergoing major reconstruction. When I was there last month I counted eight construction cranes. Since Vail sits are the foot the mountain and pinched by I-70 it is very narrow and stretches along Gore Creek for several miles. The local bus system is good so even if you are not in the center you can get around fairly easy. I would avoid Lionheads because it is the most tore up but on the other hand you get some real deals. Also July is a very busy time for various conferences and sports camps. It could be bit crowded. Beaver Creek is more remote and much quieter but few shops and restaurants aslo.