lodging one night only but a Sat., in Carmel area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help! We have only one night, and it's a Saturday in mid-May, to stay in the Carmel area. Extensive research has told me that the vast majority of places, including all that have been recommended by Fodorites in previous threads, require a 2 or even 3 night minimum stay on weekends.

I've come up with 2 possibilities. One of them, the Crystal Terrace Inn, doesn't seem to have any reviews written anywhere, either on Trip Advisor, Fodor's, etc. Right now it's between that and the Carmel Resort Inn. Any experience with Crystal Terrace, or other suggestions?

Also, there are places that will allow us to stay just the one night in Monterey or maybe Pacific Grove, but apparently that weekend is the arts festival in Carmel, so I'm concerned that if we don't stay right in Carmel, it will be impossible to drive in and park. Am I being overly concerned?

And on one other note...Friday is when we're leaving Huntington Beach where my sister-in-law lives, and starting to head up the coast. Since we're not sure how far up we want to make it the first day until we're doing it, we've thought maybe we won't reserve in advance and will just find any decent motel to stay in when we see where we want to stop - is this crazy, should we be making a reservation?

Thanks in advance for any help, I've gotten so much from Fodorites already on other aspects of our trip.

Laura Cohen Romano
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 02:11 PM

I don't know about the parking situation for Carmel that weekend, but I would definitely make a reservation for the night you will be travelling up the coast. There aren't a ton of places to stay and so you may spend a lot of time looking for something. Plus, you will be at the mercy of the hotels and probably wont get a good rate.

The San Luis Obispo/Morro Bay/Cambria are is a good place to stop when going from LA to Monterey.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 03:03 PM

From Huntington Beach, it will probably take you 5 hours to get as far as San Luis Obispo which has a number of places to stay. Apple Farm Inn is nice, and their restaurant very good. Another place, clean and quiet, reasonably-priced is Best Western Somerset Inn, a few doors down from Apple Farm. From there you can make Carmel in the morning in less than 3 hours, in time for things opening up.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 03:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
www.carmelmissioninn.com
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help! We've reserved our Sat. night at the Coachman's Inn, I'll report back in my trip report when we return.

And on advice, we now plan to reserve somewhere ahead for Fri. night as well. We're disappointed to find that we won't be able to wake up Sat. and tour the Hearst Castle because they're all sold out. Ah well...more time to hike the beautiful surroundings, guess I can't complain too much!