Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Lodging Near Denver Convention Center (prefer N/S)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in Denver from about May 13-20 or so and looking for suggestions on lodging near the convention center, where I'll be attending meetings. Prefer non-smoking lodging and definitely need a non-smoking room. Would love a place about 5 blocks away or closer.

By the way, what is the name of that great french restaurant near the capitol that has mussels? Is it still in business? Was last there in 2004.
Thanks!
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 05:08 AM

La Centrale may be the restaurant you are asking about--it's our favorite. I wouldn't call it near the Capitol, however, so it may be something else.
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 05:47 AM

There are probably ten hotels of various nature around the convention center including a new Four Seasons that just opened. All will have no smoking rooms. However, I am guessing from the way the question was phrased that you are asking for something else. With the mall shuttle bus no need to restrict yourself to five blocks.
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 05:50 AM

PS --- I am unaware of any French restaurant near the Capitol. I have been to La Centrale several times and have not noticed mussels on the menu but wasn't looking either.
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 05:54 AM

The following link, which includes distance in blocks from the convention center, will be a good start for your hotel search:

denver.org/denver-meetings-conventions/denver-hotels/downtown

I'm sure you are thinking of Le Central lecentral.com and it is still in business. I prefer the mussels & frites at Bistro Vendrome on Larimer, so you might want to give them a try for their Sunday - Thursday $9 special. bistrovendome.com/events.html
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 07:00 AM

That is really funny fmpden, because they have an entire page of mussels/preparations on the menu!! It is the reason we go because they are SO reasonable, and SO delicious.
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks--I think it must have been the latter restaurant. As I said, it has been many years since we were last in Denver, but have always loved that restaurant and try to go there at each visit. Will have to try all of these recommendations, especially since we'll be in Denver so many nights this trip.

Can any list their top 5 favorite hotels within a walking distance of the Convention Center? They all seem to have convention rates and all are roughly comparable in price. Thanks!
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 11:00 AM

I suspect the restaurant was Le Central not Bistro Vendome, which wasn't open in 2004--it opened in 2007. Le Central is 7 blocks south of the Capitol on Broadway. Both are great, though.
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks--top 5 hotels walking distance of convention center, anyone?
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 08:42 PM

It is a question without much meaning. When combined with the mall shuttle, all the hotels are within walking distance of the convention center. Define "top."
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

I guess it would be favorite--places people have enjoyed staying, preferably quieter (do NOT enjoy LOUD music in lobby area).
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 07:18 AM

The difficultly with asking locals to evaluate hotels is that we do not stay in them. You need to understand the lay out of downtown Denver. The center of the downtown area is the 16th Street Mall. Nearly everything is within two or three blocks either side of the mall. The convention center is two blocks west of the 16th street mall. There is a free mall bus that runs about every 5 min - a little more at off hours -- Most hotels are along 17th and 15th so it doesn't make much difference where the hotel is. You walk a block or two to the bus, ride the bus, walk two blocks to the convention center. The Four Seasons is two blocks north on 15th and the Hyatt is across the street from the center.
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 09:30 AM

Here is a map of downtown Denver, showing some of the hotels and points of interest, including the convention center:
http://net.educause.edu/section_para...images/map.pdf
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 09:36 AM

On the map, you will see the Hotel Teatro is the closest. It is a nice boutique hotel with a great restaurant. The Marriott Courtyard would probably be the less expensive choice. Both are "five blocks away or closer", as you request.

I don't think it is hard to find non-smoking.
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 09:45 AM

Nice, concise, accurate map, PeaceOut!

fmpdens right. Virtually all downtown hotels are within walking distance if you use the free 16th Street shuttle bus.
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 11:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for these thoughts & the helpful map & comments. You're right about locals tending not to know all that much about hotels. I am not all that familiar with Hawaii hotels, tho I have lived here most of my life. Sometimes we do have out of town guests who give us feedback about hotels they enjoy and sometimes when we have a "staycation," we do stay at local hotels as well. Also, when we go outer island, we also stay at hotels or condos.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 02:33 PM

The new Marriott and the new Courtyard Suites (opened in the past two months) are the closest; the CC is right across the street. (Teatro is a block farther.)
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 10:32 PM
Original Poster

What are the names of these two brand new hotels, please? Hubby generally LOVES staying at new places.
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Original Poster

OK, hubby wants free internet. Can I please have feedback on these following hotels I have narrowed our selection down to:

Denver Magnolia Hotel
Residence Inn
Hotel Teatro
Marriott Denver Downtown
Oxford Hotel
Comfort Inn Downtown

Thanks for any help!
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 06:31 AM

The newest hotel on 14th and just two blocks north of the convention center is the Four Seasons. Our experience with big city hotels (not in Denver) is no free internet. Use Starbucks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -