Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Lodging in the Big Sur or Monterey Area with a Smoker

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Lucille

My husband and I will be spending a weekend in this area next spring for our tenth anniversary. I would like to find lodging that has a great view but that will accomadate a smoker. I know that there are not a lot of hotels in the area with ocean or bay views, and it makes it even harder considering that most of those, especially the B&Bs, are totally non-smoking. Any suggestions? A non-smoking room with a balcony or patio where you can smoke would be fine.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 10:43 AM
lynette

In Monterey, try The Doubletree, it's downtown, convenient to walk to restaurants and shops.(I think the upper floors have a view.) In Carmel, try the Pine Inn. When you call, ask them for recommendations of other places too. (www.pineinn.com) The vies are beautiful, and while not a bed and breakfast, it is an old, charming historic hotel within walking distance to the beach and it's right on Ocean Avenue, with private parking. Enjoy.

Lynette

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 10:47 AM
lynette

Sorry, I hit post too soon! The Gosby House in Pacific Grove has one room with a queen size bed and fireplace that has its own patio. They have been mentioned often on this board and although there is no ocean view (from that room, it is on the ground floor),you can walk just a few blocks to the ocean!(www.foursistersinns.com)

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 12:23 PM
deb

Lucille,

You basically can't smoke anywhere indoors in the state of CA. No matter where you go, you will get non-smoking rooms.

Your husband will have to go outside aways from the building to enjoy a smoke. I would consider it very bad form (and possibly illegal) to smoke on the balcony or patio.

Just my $0.02.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Steve

Smoking is allowed in any hotel room which has been designated by the hotel as a smoking room. Smoking outside on a patio or balcony is also fine as long as it has been designated as a smoking area.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 05:28 PM
joanie

I don't know where deb gets her information from, but I have been to California a half a doozen times in the past ten years and have alway been able to find smoking rooms. With inflation, I guess that makes her two cents worthless. I really liked the Highland Inn in Carmel. Rooms are nonsmoking, but have balconies where you can smoke.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 05:46 PM
lynette

Deb:
Do you actually live in California? I've lived here my entire life and have never come across the smoking hysteria of which you write. It's true that restaurants and bars are now non-smoking, but hotels still have smoking and non-smoking rooms! Smoking may be prohibited in some historical buildngs (Small hotels or B and B's) but not allowed on patio's and balconies? Illegal? Come on now!

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 05:55 AM
ginny

Deb, are you an ex-smoker or what? A lot of bitterness there, not to mention exageration (to a point of being untruthful) there. Or trying to keep tourist away? Whatever!!!

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Nancy

Although I don't have an exact recommendation, the smoking thing will not be an issue. We visit our children in California 2-3 times each year. I smoke and most of the time I can get a smoking room. There have been a very few cases where the entire hotel was non-smoking but then we just get a room with a balcony. B and B's will all be non-smoking as far as I know.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 04:33 PM
David

Lucille,
If you wish to stay in Carmel then
The Carmel Bay view Inn Offers spectacular views of Point Lobos and the coast--all from downtown. They have a wonderful continental breakfast and while people will try to tell you that no Inn has views of the coast from in town don't believe them! This place has a fourth and fifth floor set up on a hill in the back of town with wonderful balconies, large rooms, fireplaces and and the MOST COMFORTABLE HUGE BED WE HAVE EVER SLEPT IN!!!

My girlfriend is a smoker and the balcony offered her a nice area to smoke...and what a view!

Good luck,

Davidcs