Notices

Lodging in Sugarbush / Mad River Glen

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lodging in Sugarbush / Mad River Glen

Looking for an economical place to stay in Sugarbush / Mad River Glen. Have narrowed it down to 2 places - Hyde Away Inn or Inn at Mad River Barn. Does anyone have info, opinions on either or both? Thanks!
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 07:27 AM
KMK

I stayed at the Inn at Mad River Barn just before Christmas a few years ago. The 'just before Christmas' part is important, because the place was virtually empty, I think one or 2 other couples were there, and some B&Bs were even closed (to reopen just after Xmas).

The place is pretty basic & rustic. The area with the bar looked like a fun gathering place - but, wasn't open when we were there. Breakfast was downstairs in the barn, yummy, made to order, the owner (Betsey Pratt, who used to be the owner of Mad River Glen before she sold it to the coop) entertaining us with skiing stories.

We stayed in the annex building. Big but uninspiring rooms, you could fit a lot of people in them, BUT, since fall tourist season was long over & skiing had barely started (MRG wasn't even open yet, & Sugarbush was barely open - bad snow year), the annex wasn't seeing a lot of guests...so, when we checked in, there were mice in our room. Eeeck! Droppings on the bed, chewed up soap, a nest under the vanity. Betsey apologized profusely & allowed us to select another room. (She claimed the lack of occupancy had made the mice comfortable moving in.) The other room had no mice, but it had a finicky heater - the room was either freezing or boiling. We could have complained again, I'm sure she would have moved us again, but I decided it wasn't worth it, not knowing what room #3 might bring!

I'm not sure if I would stay there again - Betsey was very nice & did her best to take care of us (which is absolutely worth something - knowing management WILL take care of problems!), but I'm not sure it was worth it. The place is supposed to be an institution, and maybe the vibe during ski season makes it worth it (& scares off the vermin!). Guess I might try the main barn rooms instead, if anything. I've heard they have more character anyway.

I know nothing about the Hyde Away Inn. Did stay at Tucker Hill Inn once, in one of the tiny rooms by the tavern (the only ones that are marginally economical in that place). VERY tiny, but very clean & country-inn-like. Owners nice enough, breakfast a bit lame (continental), and you WILL need AWD to get in their driveway.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Hi KMK
Thanks so much for the info!!! This is good to know. I did call the Mad River Valley Chamber of Commerce. They also recommended the Garrison. Have you heard of that one? Thanks again for your input!
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 08:30 AM
gc

Sharon,

The Hyde Away is a small inn/restaurant close to both ski areas. It is the favorite after ski bar for locals (not a wild scene, a good friendly place) and has our favorite restaurant in the Valley.

We've never stayed there, but from appearences, the rooms will be clean and quaint and the service attentive.

Suggest you also try the Weathertop Lodge and the Caravan.

Weathertop is nice, can't comment on Caravan except that it's farther away (3-4 miles) and should be less money.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks GC for the info.

I have spoke with the Garrison and they have a fantastic deal on lodging and lift. Do you know anything about the Garrison? Any info you can provide is appreciated! Thank you!
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 05:06 AM
gc

No info on the battleground. We stayed at the Waits Farm Inn a couple of years ago. Right on rte 100, clean but a little long in the tooth. Good sized rooms, nice people and reasonable.

If you can fit it into your budget, the Waitsfield Inn and Featherbed Inn are very nice.