Lodging in Sequoia N'tl PArk

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2003, 12:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi again! (I have the feeling I'll be asking you guys a lot of question!)

What is best, staying in the Sequoia Ntl Park or just outside?

And where? If inside, Wuksachi Village? If outside, which town (North or South)?

Old Jan 31st, 2003, 08:22 AM

I go there almost every year and stay at Wuksachi because it's centrally located inside the (rather large) park. It's also close to the Giant Forest area which is one of the Park's highlights.

I beleive there is also a motel and cabins in the Grant Grove area of the park - would probably be fine to stay there too.

I would not stay outside because of all the driving involved.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 07:19 AM

Any suggestions on rooms to request or avoid at the Wuksachi Lodge?
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 07:42 AM

Hi! We stayed at the Wuksachi Village in July 2000 and loved it. Very spacious, clean, new rooms, probably the nicest furnishings in any nat'l park lodge we've stayed in (and that includes MANY.)

You are taken to your room in a golf cart, a very nice touch. There were three lodge buildings, all located on a higher elevation, all close to the dining room/registration/gift shoppe building. You might request one closer / further into the woods, whatever you'd prefer.

The dining room was excellent, the salmon perfectly done, and the breakfast buffet was varied and reasonably priced.

We also drove through the giant 'auto-log' at dusk to the Crescent Meadow area to look for bears; altho we didn't see any, it was still a beautiful drive, with the stars seemingly in our faces.

Have a great time, you'll love it!
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 10:17 AM
maj

Agree with John We were asking the same question a couple of months ago. I would definitely stay in the park if possible. If you are going to go to both Sequoia and Kings Canyon, I would think about staying at Grant's Grove. It is about an hour to each park from Grant's Grove. (beautiful scenery both ways)
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 08:36 AM

We just returned from Sequoia and did stay at Wuksachi...it was great. The rooms were very clean, large, just all around nice. The main lodge has the restaurant which was very good, and a gift shop. If you're coming in from the south you pass Lodgepole first which has a deli, and a breakfast deli, and a rather nice market with lunch meats and frozen foods, a very good selection of everything really. And Lodgepole also has a larger assortment of souvenirs. You will need reservations to avoid a wait in the summer at the restaurant at Wuksachi, but we arrived early for dinner and enjoyed talking to some of the workers who were seated at the bar. They were a bundle of information...bartender included. The rooms are located in 3 buildings nearby which are built on the mountainside and are rather rustic looking from the outside, but have every luxury on the inside.
The towns I saw before we entered the park were very old and dusty with alot of delapidated buildings. There were a couple of nice little restaurant resort type places and you could tell them easily because everything else is pretty shabby and aged in the old west way. The bartender confirmed that the ones that were well tended with gardens etc were the places that were acceptable to stay....they were in Lemon Cove and Three Rivers. There isnt much else out there. Let me also say that the market in Three Rivers that boasts being the last chance before the park is outrageously expensive...I paid $4 for a teeny jar of salsa. And then found the market right in the park in Lodgepole which had everything. Their prices were up a little, but not really bad for the location.
I might also add if you have an aversion to bears....this isnt the place for you. They actually make you sign a waiver when you check into your room that says you wont hold the park responsible for damage done by bears. And they warn you to remove all food, wrappers, coolers, etc from your cars when you go to your room. We didnt see any actual bears, but saw continual signs of them everywhere.
Cant help you with Kings Canyon. We only went as far as Wuksachi and then back. The largest group of huge trees is in that area and there were so many trails, etc right there....we didnt feel we had missed a thing by not going farther. Our days were full of wondrous sites.