Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Lodging in Santa Barbara/S Ynez-Desperate! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lodging-in-santa-barbara-s-ynez-desperate-135846/)

LLynch Jul 3rd, 2001 08:05 PM

Lodging in Santa Barbara/S Ynez-Desperate!

We are going to Santa Barbara and staying for 5 days at the new Bacara resort. We are very excited, but still have 3 nights left to plan and we are going next week!!! I would love to see the SB wine country, but have looked at a couple of websites and I am still at a loss. We would like a really nice place to stay-we are not really into chintz/quilts etc, but love a cozy but elegant inn or B&B. Should we head North to Carmel? If so, any suggestions? Restaurant ideas would be great too-Thanks, and happy travels!

kam Jul 4th, 2001 10:37 AM

They're probably booked already, but Fess Parker's Wine Country Inn in Los Olivos or the Ballard Inn in Ballard would be perfect. You could also look in Solvang--many hotels, but more touristy. And, there's the old Santa Maria Inn in Santa Maria--old, historic, adequate lodging with a pretty pool. Town is nothing special though. Carmel is too far to see the St. Barbara wine country. It's in the Monterey wine country./

willi Jul 4th, 2001 11:25 AM

While in Santa Barbara, try the Mimosa (French,very) restaurant.

xxx Jul 4th, 2001 12:29 PM

There's a Marriott hotel in Buellton which is only a few minutes from Solvang and is located in very close proximity to many of the wineries.

Y Jul 4th, 2001 12:36 PM

Be sure and try the spilt pea soup at Anderson's restaurant in Buellton.

Jay Jul 4th, 2001 02:37 PM

I believe the Health Department made Anderson's take the spilt pea soup off the menu. <BR>Replaced by a delicious split pea soup, though.

Dana Jul 4th, 2001 02:40 PM

If cost is not an issue you can check the San Ysidro Ranch. The most expensive place in the area, full of history (JFK/Jackie's honeymoon spot, Churchill wrote part of his memoirs while living there). <BR>Individual cabins, but not rustic. Many with outdoor private hot tubs, etc. Great food. Very informative website.

Joe Jul 5th, 2001 06:25 AM

The towns of Lompoc and Santa Maria are 15-20 minutes from the wine areas of Santa Ynez and have plenty of cheap affordable hotels. <BR> <BR>FWIW, Andersen's restaurant is terrible. I would highly recommend the Hitching Post and AJ Spurs.

WatersonFamily Jun 3rd, 2003 09:04 AM

We love AJ Spurs! We eat there whenever we are in the Solvang area. Great steak and rustic atmosphere. It's on the main road into Solvang 246 I think. Also, lots of Hotels in Solvang. Fun place to visit, lots of shopping and wine tasting too!

travleis Jun 3rd, 2003 09:14 AM

I think Mr/Ms Lynch will have a tough time factoring that suggestion into his/her trip to Santa Barbara.

But maybe some future visitor will be interested.

JackOneill Jun 3rd, 2003 12:34 PM

If you head north to Big Sur, check out Post Ranch Inn and Ventana. Both great places and definately NOT quilts and chintz. Both have super restaurants, qhich have superb views.

Suzie Jun 3rd, 2003 12:37 PM

Not that your information is not valuable to someone, but the original post was nearly 2 years ago.