Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Lodging in SanSimeon and Santa Barbara? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lodging-in-sansimeon-and-santa-barbara-233477/)

arielle Jun 22nd, 2002 10:15 AM

Lodging in SanSimeon and Santa Barbara?

Where is a nice hotel to stay in for just 1 night ech in San Simeon (we're planning to see the hearst castle) and Santa Barbara? It doesn't have to be really fancy, but nice. Nothing more then about $180 a night. Thanks!

mare Jun 22nd, 2002 05:29 PM

Weekdays you'll have lots of luxury choices, but I'll assume you're asking about this price range for two weekend nights. <BR><BR>I'd choose Tropicana Inn or Marina Beach Motel in Santa Barbara, affordable yet close to the shore. <BR><BR>Up in San Simeon, check out neighboring Cambria. Here are some choices there:<BR><BR>www.sspines.com<BR>www.burtondrivein n.com<BR>www.sandpebblesinn.com

loangalsal Jun 23rd, 2002 06:05 AM

We stayed just outside of Santa Barbara at the Cliff House Inn, it was wonderful. Right on the ocean, it is a small hotel with a nice little restaurant and outdoor pool. Unbelievable oceanside view. Affordable and clean as well, nothing fancy. <BR>www.cliffhouseinn.com

arielle Jun 23rd, 2002 06:14 AM

We are going to be passing through in the middle of the week (during our drive from SF to L.A.) so if that opens up a few more choices I'd love to hear them!

Carla Jun 23rd, 2002 06:32 AM

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Santa Barbara. Although it does not have an ocean view, it was right off of State Street (the main street that runs through Santa Barbara with all the restaurants and shops to the Pier). It was a great location and we'll stay there again when we return.

AH Jun 23rd, 2002 08:14 AM

You didn't ask but .... make sure to make reservations ahead at Hearst Castle. I learned that on this board and was glad I had when they were turning people away who didn't have tix.<BR><BR>

kam Jun 23rd, 2002 10:50 AM

Most of the hotels at Moonstone Beach in CAmbria would fit the bill. Go to www.innaccess. You'll be right across from a beautiful beach to walk in the morning or at sunset.

vicki Jun 23rd, 2002 11:44 AM

Blue Whale Inn in Cambria is wonderful but expensive.

BJ Jun 24th, 2002 12:32 AM

We've stayed twice at West Beach Inn in Santa Barbara. It is right across the street from the beach and the yacht harbor. Lovely restaurants within walking distance, great pool area. We would definitely stay there again. Their site is beachcalifornia.com

Melissa Jun 24th, 2002 08:33 AM

Arielle, my family just returned from CA. We spent the night in Cambria at the Pelican Suites. It was fabulous!! I would highly recommend it to anyone. The rooms are so much like home away from home. The rooms have gas fireplaces which are a nice touch. When we returned home, we had a msg from the hotel looking for the owner of a doll that was left in the room. You just don't find that kind of service anywhere. We wished we were able to spend more nights there. We also took the Experience Tour at the Hearst Castle. It is only 10-15 minute drive from the hotel. The Castle was great. You do need reservations ahead of time though. Have a great time. I wish I was going again!<BR><BR>Melissa

joesorce Jun 24th, 2002 10:04 PM

The lovely Harbor View Inn in S.B. sometimes runs weekday specials and packages, its worth giving them a call. <BR><BR>In nearby Montecito, the Montecito Inn often runs an affordable "L.A. Times Special". www.montecitoinn.com<BR><BR>Also the Oceana may have completed all its renovations by now<BR>www.hoteloceana.com

Reb Jun 27th, 2002 09:03 AM

In Santa Barbara I vote for Oceana Hotel, during the week it's $175, I have booked through quikbook.com or they have their own website too. It's been totally renovated and decorated by Kathryn Ireland. Location is across the street from the beach, walking distance to everything. Have a good time!