Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Lodging in Minnesota (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lodging-in-minnesota-237793/)

Cathy Jul 8th, 2002 06:04 PM

Lodging in Minnesota

My husband and I are planning a trip to Minneapolis this summer. We would like to stay slightly away from the city in an effort to save some money on lodging. Neither one of us are familiar with the surrounding area. Can any kind Minnesotans lend us some advice? Many thanks and blessings to you.

Jack Jul 8th, 2002 06:16 PM

The most cost effective but dependable lodgings with a short drive of downtown are in Eagan, by the airport (Bloomington) and Edina.<BR>A handful of Courtyards, Hampton Inns, Fairfields, etc.<BR>These are safe areas, with easy interstate access to get wherever you want to go.<BR>No need to stay out of the metro area entirely.

this Jul 8th, 2002 06:42 PM

I like the Fairfield Inn in Eden Prairie. Stay there whenever I can.

Cali Jul 8th, 2002 10:04 PM

Any of the areas of Eagan, Bloomington, Edina and Eden Prairie are safe and have a lot of different ranges of hotels - many of the chains. We have used Priceline.com several times in these areas and have gotten some good hotels at fabulous prices. You usually can find other good prices on the web too. Just a word of caution. The Mnnesota State Fair is at the end of Aug. until Labor Day and it draws a lot of outstate people and hotels go fast and the prices get higher than usual. You want to book ASAP. Good luck!

Kristin Jul 9th, 2002 05:43 PM

Cathy, Minneapolis is really a very easy city to navigate---my hubby and I go there a lot and stay in the surrounding 'burbs. Bloomington has a whopping 12% room tax, but areas like Eden Prairie (southwest side) and Plymouth (west) have only 5 or 6% room taxes. It seems like you're driving into the boonies when you go to Eden Pr and/or Plymouth, but it actually is only about a 15 min. drive to downtown or the Mall of America from those areas. Another fairly "in the middle of everything" area that we've stayed is the Comfort Inn in Roseville. It again is about 15 min. from everything. It's not in a beautiful setting (right next to a big bakery I think), but it's usually pretty cheap,safe, but still a nice place, and very convenient. The Springhill Suites by Marriott are pretty nice--there's one in Eden Prairie that I got a 2-room suite for $49 off the internet once. springhillsuites.com Don't count out the downtown hotels for good deals. (Marquette Vista--a Hilton property) I often find them cheaper than the Bloomington/Mall of America motels!! ($79-$99 a nite----very nice property, connected to skywalks for downtown shopping and dining, again--only 15 min. from everything else---beware of the parking garage charge tho--could add $12 a nite to your bill depending on the package they're offering). <BR>I love Mnpls so I'll watch the board if you have anymore questions!! Good luck.

Cathy Jul 9th, 2002 06:12 PM

Kristin-thanks for all your advice.$49.00 sounds very appealing-I will try to negotiate that rate! We love the arboreteum(sic) for a summer visit.Have you been there? Also, love the ribfest, usually held the last week of July. Maybe we'll see you there!.