Search

Lodging in Kaua'i

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lodging in Kaua'i

I was very lucky and won a 3-night trip to Big Island (Hilton Waikoloa Village). Scheduled it for early March 05. We want to add 5 nights or so on another island. I was in Honolulu about 20 years ago, SO has never been to Hawaii. Considered Lanai, Molokai and Kauai. Kauai sounds best. He likes hiking and biking. I like strolling. We both like history and cultural centers. For lodging we want something non-big resort. Hope to walk to stores. Want a kitchenette, pool and rooms with tub and shower. Would like to be within 10 minutes from a swimable or at least wading beach. Really want to feel like we?re in another state, a small town ? rather than glam resort. I hope this is all specific enough to get a recommendation (looking at Best Western Plantation Hale Studios and Kauai Coconut Beach Resort in Kapa?a since they seem to be walking distance to Coconut Marketplace). Fodorites were of terrific help when we went to NYC and New Orleans ? we took recommendation for Hotel Beacon in NYC and Alexa Hotel in NO and were immensely pleased. Appreciate your recommendations!
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 06:05 AM

Well Plantation Hale and Coconut Beach are definitely not glam. They are located in a congested area near Kapa'a.
I dont see any advantage in being close to Coconut MArketplace as it is rather dreary. The Coconut Beach Resort has been bought by the MArriott and is undergoing sorely needed renovations which will be a huge improvement.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 11:45 AM

We stayed at the Islander on the Beach in Kapaa and it was fine, not expensive, right on a beach. Not a whole lot of interest within walking distance in the Kapaa area. You could check out Hanalei, it's a prettier, more interesting small town on a nicer bay, but March weather could be very wet. Hiking is wonderful on Kauai, but very very muddy. Not much in the way of history and cultural centers, just beautiful nature.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 12:18 PM

With the parameters you've stated -- especially wanting a swimmable beach nearby -- you definitely do _not_ want to be in the Coconut Beach area. Even in the best of weather & surf conditions, those beaches are notorious for their rip currents and undertows.

How about the south shore...Po`ipu has lots of cottage-type vacation rentals, and great beaches, too. Just use something like google.com to search for "poipu vacation rental". Here are some which have been recommended recently:
http://www.kauaicove.com/
http://www.grantham-resorts.com/homes/turtlecove.html
http://www.grantham-resorts.com/homes/coconut.html

Since you want a pool, you might also consider one of the many condo projects in Po`ipu also -- some of them offer studio or 1-bedroom units.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 04:43 PM

I would look into Kiahuna Plantation condos in Poipu. Nice place, great beach. There are many units available by owner at vrbo.com or at http://www.kiahunaowners.net/ that represent a better value that renting through the the two main agents.
-Bill
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 07:29 AM

We left Kauai last night and arrived home this morning. We stayed in a wonderful place that meets all of your criteria except for one - it does not have a pool; it does have a hot tub.

We spent four nights at Green Acres Cottages located about three and one half miles from the lighthouse.

Our cottage was $90 per night but they have two other cottages for $75. The rate included muffins and coffee every morning.

Our cottage had a queen bed and two twin beds (also served as couches); a kitchenette with microwave, refrigerator, toaster oven, sink, dishes, silverware, and cooking utensils; the bathroom had a tub with shower, toilet, sink, and loads of towels; the living area had a color tv with 70+ channels, a vcr, cd player, and gorgeous antique furniture. We also were supplied with an ice chest, beach towels, and beach chairs; four white sand beaches are located within a few miles.

There is a gas grill and a hot tub. The cottages are located within an orchard and we were encouraged to pick limes, lemons, oranges, grapefruit, and macadamia nuts.

The owners were fantastic and extremely helpful.

They have a website - just do a search for Green Acres Cottages in Kauai.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 07:38 AM

We stayed at this 1 BR condo right on the water. It does have a pool and the beach is 1/2 block away. Check it out and see what you think.
http://apoipuoceanfront.home.att.net/