Lodging in Kalispell and Glacier

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 10:03 AM
Lynn

Lodging in Kalispell and Glacier

We will be going to Glacier National Park in August and staying for two or three nights at Many Glacier Hotel. We are flying into Kalispell and planned on driving that day to Many Glacier. Are two days enough to stay, are three two many? We will drive up to Waterton, but had not planned on staying there. Our last night we will be going back to Kalispell and driving down to see the Flathead Lake area and Bigfork. I have made reservations in both the Bestwestern Outlaw and the Kalispell Grand Hotel. Has anyone stayed at the Kalispell Grand? It is an old hotel, but I thought it sounded interesting.

After reading the many posts on this board about the area, I'm not sure if I've made the right decisions about staying in the park.

One more question; are the insects a problem at that time of year?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 10:38 AM
Mary Sue

We got back from Glacier about a month ago. We stayed at Many Glacier for one night, and honestly, that was enough. The view and the location are the only things that are good about the place. It is in desperate need of renovation, and it is unfortunate that it has fallen in such disrepair because it represents an interesting part of American history. The rooms are very spartan - just a double bed and that is about it. The dining room was OK. There is nothing else around so you don't have many options for meals, other than the dining room at the Swiftcurrent Motor Inn down the road. We wanted to be in the park for one night - we were headed to Lake Louise the next day - so it suited our needs. It really depends on what you are going to do. If you're going to spend all day hiking, then Many Glacier will probably be fine, especially with its location.

Don't recall the other places you mentioned. We stayed at a lovely B&B in Whitefish our first night called Hidden Moose Lodge. Would highly recommend it. There are many more options on the west side of park - not much at all on the east side, which is the side Many Glacier is located on.

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 12:14 PM
Pat

I second the recommendation for the Hidden Moose Lodge in Whitefish. Stayed there for 2 nights and thought it was great. They have a web page, if you do a search you should be able to locate it.

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 12:44 PM
Bob Brown

why not just stay in Big Fork?
There is a nice motel there called the Timbers Inn and when we visited the down town area, a theatrical production was underway. The town does seem to close up early, however.
The airport is on the Big Fork side of Kalispell.

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 06:10 AM
Mary Sue

Forgot to mention that we stayed at a nice Days Inn in Kalispell on our last night that was about 10 minutes from the airport. I booked it on the Days Inn website and got a rate of $39. It was exceptionally clean, room was very spacious, and they serve a continental breakfast.