Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hotel near Epcot..and general Disney Epcot Advice???

Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two adults would like to take a 1-2 day trip to Epcot (driving from south Florida). Since I have not been to Disney in decades, I need some advice.

Should I plan for two nights, or will an overnight give us the general idea and allow us to see a substantial area of the park? (We would arrive before noon, and could depart anytime the following day).

How inconvenient would it be to stay at a hotel outside the park, for example, the Ritz Carlton Resort Orlando? Would the price savings be negated by the inconvenience of getting to the park? What are the pros and cons of staying inside vs outside the premises?

What are the best nearby hotels?

If best to stay at Epcot, what are the nicest properties? While not on a strict budget, I do not want to pay $600 per night if I can avoid this.

Any day of the week better than others? (We are thinking of visiting sometime next month (in March); our dates are flexible)

For dinner: There seem to be several not-terrible restaurants within Epcot (Moroccan, German and Italian seem to be the most popular). Would staying outside the Park, for example at Ritz or other nearby hotel, allow access to any really good food experiences, or should we just book a table within Epcot?

Many thanks! I am far out of my element on this one!
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 05:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For Epcot and WITHIN walking distance you have basically three (plus another 2) possibilities:

the closest properties are the Yacht/BeachClub complex and across the small lake from that the Boardwalk. A bit further are the two concessionaired properties the Dolphin and the Swan.

IMO the hotel with the best pool is definitely the Yacht and Beach and the Beach is a bit closer to Epcot than the Yacht.

I would definitely not even fool with staying off property in a Ritz or anywhere else. It is so much easier to get around all of the parks on the bus system or by walking if you are ON property and look, say whatever you want but there is NO OTHER HOTEL system which has the SERVICE of Disney and that includes the Ritz.
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 06:27 AM

Hi ekscrunchy, we have done what you are contemplating. We live in New England and have driven to FL for a winter getaway. We love Epcot so will spend a day visiting there and continue on w/ our travels. The last time we visited Epcot we stayed in the Universal Studio area as we had booked a Holiday Inn Express we found at a very decent rate. It is about 7 mi. to Epcot (give or take) and it was not a long drive. We went in Feb. so traffic was light and there was no one at Epcot, we had the park to ourselves! We had a nice day there. For us, one day is enough to see Epcot if it's not crowded. Plus, it is probably around $200 for admission tickets, plus your parking of $14. and food. I think we pd. about $90 pp for our admission.

This worked out well for us but if we go back for another day or two visit, I would definitely stay closer to WDW. It is so much easier going to/from the park when you stay w/in. We just did a family trip this past August and I booked Port Orleans for our stay. It's very nice there, our room was in a quiet location. The only thing I did not like was they only had the food court to eat in and that is not my cup of tea. If you want a restaurant experience, then I would look for another hotel. It is not cheap eating at WDW. Epcot does have nice restaurants tho.

That said, I would also recommend staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek (there is also a Hilton Bonnet Creek) and both are in the same area.

http://www.wyndhambonnetcreek.com/

We checked out Bonnet Creek for our family visit and it's beautiful there. There is a hotel and also condo rentals. We visited the hotel and asked to see a room, gorgeous. Would definitely stay there, dining was expensive. We have friends that have stayed there also.

Downtown Disney area is nice also and there are some decently priced hotels there. I believe they offer shuttle service from some of them. It's close to the shopping, restaurants, etc. We took the ferry to downtown one day and did some shopping and had dinner there one night.

If there are just two of you it's not a big deal to drive to Epcot for a day or two, just my opinion. Others will disagree. You can get some decent rates this time of year and it's a nice getaway. I would do two nights if you want to relax. One day at Epcot and the other day to sit by pool, etc. Good luck.
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 07:01 AM

We stayed at Boardwalk once . . just a short boat ride from the Epcot entrance . . and a great hotel
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 07:29 AM

The Swan and the Dolphin are good hotel choices near Epcot for adults. These hotels tend to attract fewer kids. Restaurants and pool area are quieter. Room quality is what you would expect from a Marriott or Hilton. You will easily stay under $600 per night unless you go for a suite.
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 07:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have noting against the Dolphin and Swan but they are major convention hotels...just be aware.
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 08:09 AM

Have been to Swan and seen Dolphin and the do tend to be full os small conventions. I found both to be sub par - sort of dingy and not someplace you would want to eat.

We typically stay at the Hyatt Grand Cyprus - which we like due to fewer kids, nice pools and a decent casual restaurent in the grounds (Hemingway's). Stayed once at the Hilton at downtown disney and it was very basic for a Hilton - and the shuttle was useless. Got a car after one try using it - it never seemed to be available.
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 09:17 AM

I have been to WDW exactly once, so others have much more experience. However, the experience I had of being bussed over and how much time it took just to get into the park then of course to leave, made me a strong believer in staying on property if you want to make the best use of your time. Especially since you really don't have that long a time period anyway.
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! I will do some further checking of the hotels mentioned above, and their rates.

About the Hyatt Grand Cypress--does that one, while not IN the park, have a much better location for Epcot than the Ritz?

Just for the record, we do like to swim and would much prefer a hotel with a rectangular pool, rather than one of those curvy "resort-style" pools like the one at Hyatt Cypress. Having said that, I doubt if we will have much time for swimming on this trip, so that is a secondary concern.

The Hyatt looks to be about half the price of some of the Epcot hotels I checked, (and much less pricy than the Ritz)....is it THAT inconvenient to stay at a hotel in that location?

About the Swan and Dolphin, which has a good location, what is the difference between the two properties? I am having trouble finding out this info on their site..

http://www.swandolphin.com/offers/index.html