Lodging at South Rim GC and near Lake Powell

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

My daughter and I have reservations July 1and 2 at El Tovar but it is very expensive. Are there any suggetions for less expensive but scenic at the Grand Canyon? We are also looking for lodging at Lake Powell and Sedona. We don't spend a lot of time in the room, but we want convenience to the sites and there are so many choices we don't know where to begin. Thanks
Old May 18th, 2009, 07:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Why don't you look up GC at Xanterra.com.

El Tovar is the most expensive place there.

Bright Angel is right at the rim and is less expensive.

If there are no rooms available, call Xanterra daily until your dates open up from cancelations.

I was in Sedona a couple of years ago. i stayed at the BW Inn of Sedona. It had been renovated and had the look and feel of a new place.

On the upper level across from the main lobby the rooms have a parking lot entrance and a back patio entrance looking out at the view.

I would highly recommend it.
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
Spent two nights in Sedona a couple of weeks ago. Check out King's Ransom in a Trailhead room. Decent size, table and two chairs in the room and also on small balcony. Very clean and quiet. Neat pool and hot tub area.

Beware of bad road construction through much of town. Very congested and hard to navigate. Spent an enjoyable day in Jerome in order to avoid the mess. Was a great decision and a fun place.
Old May 18th, 2009, 12:26 PM

When you call Xanterra, be sure to ask if they have any guests in one of the other lodges, like Bright Angel, Kachina, or Thunderbird who have asked to up grade to el Tovar who could swap rooms with you. They are all right next to one another on the rim. In any case keep calling as people cancel all the time.
Old May 19th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion about switching rooms with someone else. If they are all on the rim, I will probably try for one of the less expensive places. I will also look into the suggestions in Sedona.
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:43 PM

Note that Sedona is about a 2 hour drive from the GC. williams is the nearest town outside of the GC Park, and will be cheaper, but not nearly so scenic or memorable. I'd try to get one of the other lodgings, but if not, keep the room at El Tovar and save on some of the other expenses. Staying AT THE CANYON itself is well worth it, esp. since you are only there for two nights.
Old May 24th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I think we will definitely stay inside the GC and maybe opt for one of the cheaper lodges if available. What about Lake Powell? Any suggestions? There are so many spots to choose from it is confusing.
Old May 24th, 2009, 08:19 AM

We've stayed at half a dozen hotels in Page (Lake Powell) and our fav was the Marriott ... http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ourtyard-page/

If it is full or doesn't fit your budget then the Holiday Inn Express is nice and has a free breakfast. There are a couple of Best Westerns that are OK, also Super 8 is OK.
Old May 24th, 2009, 02:09 PM

We stayed at the Quality Inn in Page; the three of us had a nice large room with a good view of Lake Powell. Their full breakfast buffet was tasty.

Lee Ann
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 03:34 AM

We loved the Yavapai Lodge at the south rim. Ask for the newer north end rooms.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 02:08 PM

Sorry, it was the Maswik Lodge at the south rim. Ask for the newer north rooms.