Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Lockers in NYC? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lockers-in-nyc-308603/)

gokatgo Apr 19th, 2003 01:19 PM

Lockers in NYC?

Does anyone know if train stations in NYC have lockers? Or know of any short-term public lockers that are available near Central Park? Or maybe a dept store that will hold bags for the day? My family will be visitng in May. We're staying with friends in Jersey City -- we plan to go into the city each morning and leave each evening, and thought it would be great to have someplace in town to park stuff throughout the day. Things like picnic stuff (blanket, frisbee) or any packages we pick up along the way.<BR>Thanks!

rb_travelerxATyahoo Apr 19th, 2003 04:14 PM

I looked into this awhile back, and the results are not good. The ONLY thing I found was that Penn Station has a parcel check to store bags ONLY if you are holding an Amtrak ticket.<BR><BR>The only other suggestion is to see if a hotel bellman will store your bag for a day. Ask nicely, with the tip plainly in view (I know, seems more like a bribe). But if you did this, I think you'd need to pack your gear in a suitcase, and might not expect to get things out of it during the day.<BR><BR>I also like to stowe away my gear too when I'm visiting a city, and all the 9/11 security really plays havac with this. Sure wish some entrepreneir would come up with a locker business.

Loki Apr 19th, 2003 05:09 PM

Grand Central has parcel storage. Not sure if you need a ticket. If so, just buy a one way off peak for a short trip, should be $7 or less and throw it away if it's worth it for the privelage to store bags.<BR><BR>Also, the Yale club across from Grand Central on Vanderbilt stores bags if you are or pretend to be a Yale alumnus.

ellenem Apr 19th, 2003 06:43 PM

One of my favorite tricks in midtown with packages...you could check your packages at the Museum of Modern Art. It's closed for renovations right now, but in the past, the bag check was BEFORE you got to the ticketing area and entrance. Located on 53rd St just off Fifth Avenue, it was a very convenient drop, unfortunately closed now. There are some other midtown museums that might have this feature. Also, I know that Macy's has a coat check of some kind...I expect they accept packages as well. However, I suspect you might spend more time getting to these checkrooms and then retrieving your items than is worthwhile. Skip the frisbee; sit on a bench.

methinks Apr 20th, 2003 10:25 AM

Okay, you didn't hear this from me, but... There are lockers in the Barnes and Noble on 5th avenue and 18th street. Just go into the store and put your backpack in a locker, browse the store for a while and then leave the store. You just need to pick up your bag before the store closes at 8pm on weekdays and saturday or 6pm on sunday. There may be a time limit to it, but I don't think it is really enforced.<BR>My partner just tapped me on the shoulder and said she thinks they have been removed since 9-11, but I think they are still there on the right as you walk in the door.

Anya Apr 20th, 2003 07:40 PM

You can leave your bags at Metropolitan Museum of Art which is near Central Park. No charge, don't even need to buy a ticket.