Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Lobster Festival, which day? advice where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Boston, and my parents are finally coming to vist. They are planning the trip around specifically on going up to the lobster festival. We are planning on staying one nite in the Rockland area. Any advice on what day to go? Assuming the weekend will be more crowded? Is the parade worth seeing? Go opening day? I'm thinking driving up Thurs, and stay that nite due to maybe easier getting a room and traffic wise? Any recommendations about where to stay? Would like to keep under $200 if that's possible. Since it's just a place to sleep, has to be clean, clean, clean ( for my mom), other than that we don't care. 1 room, 2 beds. Anything else in the area that's a must see? Thanks,
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Cassandra

Encourage you to visit that area of Maine -- earnestly -- BUT:

I was there for the Loster Festival last year and was seriously disappointed. It's like a small-town VFW fair with moonbounce and fried dough and a certain amount of jimcrackery -- the only specifically lobster-y part of it is a big tent where you pay a bunch and then stand in line to get your lobster and corn etc. etc. When we were there, the line was 100 people long and they'd run out of lobster. We went up the street to get a lobster roll at one of Rockland's "regular" cafes, and it was the best I'd ever had.

But you'll pay extra to be there that weekend, and traffic is bad. Your parents may want to actually avoid that weekend and enjoy the lobster at any of the areas good restaurants.

Must see: The Wyeth museum there.

Old Apr 27th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Very interesting....have others had this experience? This make me want to skip the festival and just go to the area in general. I'm one to avoid crowds, but my mom seems to have her heart set on this, then again she wouldn't know any better.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Forgot - do you recall approximately what you paid in the tents?
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 06:30 PM

I don't remember there being a lot to see in the Rockland area of Maine, though there may well be. I'm thinking that if you're going to go that far north, you might as well head further up and see Acadia National Park near Bar Harbor, which is lovely but will again likely be crowded in summer. Cassandra's right, traffic will probably be very bad that time of year in the area.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 06:42 PM

Waterman's Lobster just a few miles from Rockland is the place to go. Lobster and homemade pie, right on the ocean. Don't stand in the silly line at the lobster festival.

However, if your mom is making a trip to the northeast JUST because she's heard about the festival or seen it on some food channel, you kinda gotta take her, right? Just prepare her for the small-town vibe of the whole shebang, high-school bands on parade with maybe a firetruck or two type-of-thing. I think Thursday is the only night when you'll find a room as two-night minimums and jacked up prices are probably the norm. Stay north of Rockland in Camden, it's a bit more touristy and fun. There are several nice clean motels in the area including the Cedar Crest, The Claddagh, The Schooner, The Island Inn.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 06:42 PM

I agree - the Lobster "festival" is just not that big a deal.

You can do just as well, or better, at any good lobster pound or seaside restaurant.

Boothbay Harbor is a terrific destination. The sailboat tours are wonderful.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 04:03 AM

I agree with Joesorce. Waterman's is our most favorite lobster place. We vacation in Maine just to search out all the lobster places. If you go to Waterman's, wear a hat and sunglasses because the best seats are the picnic tables by the water. There is a covered porch now but this is true lobster shack place and there's not much else on the menu (rhubarb pie is great). We have not been to the lobster festival since we generally avoid events like that although 2 years ago we went to Bath's Heritage Days held around the 4th of July and had a great time. Great parade, interesting craft fair where the church ladies were selling slices of pie (yum). I also agree with visiting the Farnsworth Museum. The Owls Head Transportation Museum is interesting and even more interesting if they are holding an event. Nearby is a great short, easy hike to the Owls Head Light. Up steps to see a terrific view. If you go to Camden, take the auto road to the top of Mt Battie for one of the best views in Maine overlooking the harbor. I also agree with taking some kind of boat ride. Near Boothbay is Barter's Island for the new Maine Coastal Gardens. Nice walking paths, some wooded. Check to see if the Maritime Museum in Bath is doing any lighthouse boat trips. A few years ago four of us stayed at the Glenmoor by the Sea just north of Camden. You can get a mini suite which would be more comfortable for 4 people.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

This is all great. I just talked to her prior to reading all these responses, and mentioned that the 1st response from Cassandra said it's not really worth it. She now said it's my call, so I said depending what was said here, we wold skip and just go to Maine. My dad has his heart set on Bar Harbour, but will depend on the hotel prices. I'll start a different thread on that, as when I looked in the past, I couldn't find anything under $300. Thanks for all the great suggestions!
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Cassandra

Bar Harbor is a LOT further to go from Boston than Boothbay, Rockland or Camden. I'm personally very fond of Camden and Rockland just on their own merits. Bar Harbor is a long trek and although I haven't been there in quite a while, I think it is more explicitly arranged for tourists than the other towns, which are partly there for the residents.

Of course, with Maine, it may be more a matter (for you or someone else) of seeing the gorgeous natural settings along the coasts than enjoying something "quaint" in the way of the towns/shops/restaurants.

I occasionally recommend people get down to Pemaquid Light and the Bradley Inn -- a favorite side trip for me.

But if you want intense shopping/poking/eating experience not too far from Boston, Boothbay's what you want. If you want something a little more authentic, try Camden/Rockland, but try to make a side trip to the coast to see a lighthouse or some rocky shores. If you want a big-deal for both scenery and tourist facilities, it's probably Bar Harbor (Southwest Harbor).

Old Apr 28th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Cassandra - thanks. I'll look into all your great suggestions. I would like to go to Maine, but also don't want to be in the car constantly. My parents still haven't seen Boston, as last time it was bitter cold and the unexpected sideways snow came in. I think the Maine part is up to me, as much as I want to see Bar Harbor, maybe another time. Just glad I didn't buy the brick for the festival - i thought it would be a good anniversary gift.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 07:49 PM

True...Bar Harbor is a long trip! And, you never know about traffic in both directions in the nice weather.

You could do nicely by going only as far north as Ogunquit or Kennebunkport. Lodging is much more reasonable in nearby Wells. Check hotels on TripAdvisor.

Walking the Marginal Way in Ogunquit and the Lobster Boat Tours (that go to Nubble Light, which is gorgeous, and back along the rocky coast) are great fun.

And, Kennebunkport is chock full of wonderful art galleries.

Lots of great places to enjoy lobster along the water - where they taste even better.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 08:42 PM

Absolutkz.....you've probably already decided not to do the Rockland Lobster thing.....I had my heart set on that also a few years ago, and MANY posters said, "it's not worth it!" So we skipped it......But we DID travel in the car for WAY too many hours because we wanted to see Boothbay Harbor, Freeport, Camden, and Bar Harbor......live and learn....we loved all those places, but we were CONSTANTLY traveling.....so for our 2nd trip to Maine, we just did Ogunquit (beautiful little city), and took a day trip to Kennebunkport, and that was our entire week's trip, but it was GREAT. On our first trip to Maine, (the one where we basically lived in our rental car) we loved the Bar Harbor area....really enjoyed hiking Acadia, but we kinda felt like we were rushing through everything. Pick a couple places to stay, and then just plan on returning to the beautiful coast of Maine a few times!
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 09:21 PM

As I understand it, this is a trip to Maine with parents who've never been to Maine, and it's one overnight only.

To me, there's just no point in spending an extra eight hours driving.

But, if my father had his heart set on Bar Harbor and didn't mind the drive, I'd do it.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

These are all great suggestions. The one nite came from the lobster festival. If we go to the other towns, we would obvously go for more than one ( 2 or 3). It sounds like Bar Harbor requires more time than my parents have, especially since they don't like to be rushed. Kennenbunkport is on my list, and this was my first suggestion when it looked like the festival was a bust.

Colette- Out of Camden, Boothbay Harbor and Ogunquit, which was your favorite?

I appreciate everyone's input, this is all very helpful. I'll be sure to post where we end up.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Cassandra

absolutkz: You may well have already done this, but strongly recommend you get a user-friendly map of Maine where it's easy to see distances and get oriented to these various towns. It will tell you a lot. Also be aware that south of Portland, the coastline is fairly flat, not that gorgeous, characteristic rocky-cliffs-and-gorgeous-inlets that you might think of with Maine.

Old Apr 29th, 2008, 02:41 PM

Absolutkz, I don't really remember a lot about Camden.....I remember we ate at a nice outdoor place on the water, and did some downtown window-shopping after dinner.....can't even remember the place we stayed! (hmm, maybe too much champagne that evening???) But I do remember it was a scenic town. In Boothbay Hrbr, we stayed at the Welch House Inn ....a great B&B that sat high on a hill with a great view of the harbor.....recommended by many people on this website. BBH is quite a hilly town....we kept busy doing a lot of of water activities: sailboat, motorboat, took a ferry ride through all the ins and outs of the coast, did a little shopping, lots of eating. Ogunquit is fairly flat, but it has a couple of nice family beaches, and there's a scenic paved ocean walk called the "Marginal Way". Along the walkway, there are several nice benches for sitting and enjoying the ocean, lots of rocks to climb out onto the water, a nice downtown, a variety of nice restaurants. The Marginal Way goes between Ogunquit and the pretty little town of Perkins Cove. Ogunquit was more of a laid-back vacation since my DH was recouping from knee surgery. When we were in BBH, we were on the go......I guess I maybe preferred the hilly terrain of BBH over Ogunquit.....altho we truly did enjoy Ogunquit......(not sure if this was much help!)
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 02:22 PM

A lot of differing opinions here. Not to muddy the waters, but a lot depends on where your folks are from - what they're used to. Boston to Portland is 2 hrs; that's not a huge drive for most folks. I agree that Bar Harbor is quite far, but it is spectacular. However, if you've never been to Maine, the southern Coast around Ogunquit and maybe a trip to Portland could be just right. I strongly disagree that the southern coast is boring and flat. The Marginal way and the huge expanse of white sand at Ogunquit Beach is better than any beach I've seen in California. You could do many things and not drive too much if you concentrated on that area.

I have been to the Lobster Festival, and while campy, it is fun and an event. Again, it depends on your reference. The small town parade, etc. can be really fun to see and Rockland has other attractions as noted by several posters - schooners, Farnsworth Museum, Owls Head transportation museum.

When you decide on your locale post another question and we'll get more detailed with info.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 02:47 PM

Have been to California and can't imagine someone thinking Ogunquit outclasses the beaches there -- Big Sur, Half Moon Bay, LaJolla -- but to each his/her own.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 08:06 PM

Our favorite place to stay in Maine, is the Breakwater Inn, in Kennebunkport. Wonderful afternoon tea, and excellent breakfast. Our favorite lobster is at Alison's right in Dock Square. Absolutely perfect town for wandering around.

http://www.thebreakwaterinn.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -