Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Living in Virginia - Favorite Small Town (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/living-in-virginia-favorite-small-town-562880/)

HeartofaGypsy Oct 6th, 2005 05:40 AM

Living in Virginia - Favorite Small Town

Hi there,
I would love to hear from folks who live in small towns in Virginia.

What do you LOVE about where you live, or visited?

What would you change about where you live?

Thank you for your input!
Juliana

schlegal1 Oct 6th, 2005 12:03 PM

Happy to answer if you'll tell me why you're asking =).

GoTravel Oct 6th, 2005 12:31 PM

I went to college for a while at Lynchburg College in Lynchburg Virginia and loved the city. An hour away from UVA, VaTech, couple hours away from Richmond, DC, etc.

We had a blast.

LadyOLeisure Oct 6th, 2005 03:19 PM

We loved visiting Orange, VA on our "wine weekends" in Virginia. It is a lovely little town in beautiful country with some stunning old "farms" and homes. Also some excellent restaurants and, of course, the wineries in close proximity as well as not being far from Monticello and Montpelier and other historic homes of past presidents.

CountryGirl Dec 15th, 2005 01:51 PM

Does a place have to have a stop light or a store to qualify as a town? If so, I guess where I live is more of a hamlet!

The closest little country store, that closes at 9, and only sells pizza (that you have to go pick up) on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays is about 4 miles away.

The closest (blinking) light is about 10 miles away.

I live near the intersection of Goochland, Fluvanna and Louisa counties, about halfway between Richmond and Charlottesville. I work in Richmond, shop in Charlottesville, do volunteer work in Palmyra and enjoy great cultural events in DC. Mountains and beaches are about the same distance away in opposite directions.

The descriptions I have provided are the reasons I LOVE living where I do. Oh, and the stars are just incredible at night!

I am don't think that I would change anything. I grew up in an Air Force family, so I have lived in many different types of places. Now as an adult I have nothing to stop me from moving anywhere that I would like to be, yet I stay right here.

ronkala Dec 15th, 2005 03:27 PM

Enter Saraho in the search box above. Several towns are listed.

ronkala Dec 15th, 2005 03:34 PM

We moved to Woodstock six years ago and are completely satisfied. Mountains to the east and west, off I-81, near enough to D.C for a day trip there, population about 4000, you can still get an ice cream soda or malted at Smoots Drug Store or at Ben Franklins.
Best lunch value in town is Ben Franklin's. Entree, 2 veggies and roll for $4.50.

mmr41 Jan 5th, 2006 11:20 AM

We moved to Cape Charles last Feb. from Sonoma, CA. Love the small town life, i.e. -a Christmas Eve gtg at the local hradware store. There is something to do on a social basis almost every week, but the drug store, which has a soda fountain is only open from 8 - 11 on Sundays. So you have to go early for breakfast.

There are several good restaurants and a "Viennese" style coffee house that also serves excellent food. Two golf courses and a beautiful beach, round out the attractions.

Only 45 minutes to the airport and the largest city in VA. It's a great place to live!!!!!

darbyvt Mar 28th, 2006 08:03 AM

My father grew up in Urbanna, VA on the Rappahanock River. Great little town slowly growing, they have a huge Oyster Festival every November. Several little antique stores and cute shops and restaurants, also Irvington and Whitestone, all surrounding little towns are nice to poke around in.

seasweetie Mar 28th, 2006 08:14 AM

I love the town of Luray in the Shenandoah Valley - beautiful country, small town feel, wonderful wonderful people - my roots from several generations back are in the area, and it always feels like coming home.

Betsy Mar 28th, 2006 08:19 AM

Y'all are making this former Roanoker homesick!