Reload this Page >

Living in Orlando/Lake Buena Vista.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 12:54 PM
Amy

I am going to be living in Orlando Florida for 7 months while doing an internship at Disney World. What are some good things to do in the remote area that don't include Disney world? Any good restaurants for a picky Vegitarian? Sofar I haven't been hearing good things about the city of Orlando itself, does anyone have something good to say about it?

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 03:43 PM
Sarah

Hi Amy! I am a veg too and I have been to Orlando many times. I actually don't like te city itself too much, I have to say. The water smells and the food is awful. I know of a great restaurant that I ate at while I was there. This one was on International Drive - a good distance from DW, but maybe you can find one close to you. It is called Sweet Tomatoes and it is a delicous salad bar with pizza, soup, brownies, mufins, potatoes, ice cream and of course salad! If you can get there, you will be dreaming about it forever....

Other than that, I found dining in Orlando difficult. There is a lot of meat everywhere, and a lot of seafood. I find that if you ask nicely you can usually get a sandwich made with cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes and onions pretty cheap. I hope I have helped you a bit! Take care!

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 04:22 PM
Sal

Amy,

Have you tried doing a web search for restaurants listed by types of cuisines? Try Digitalcity.com or Orlandoweekly.com. I believe there is a site for vegetarian restaurant recommendations (happy cow maybe?).

No doubt the tourist areas of Orlando can be oppressive. However, there are still some quieter areas left. Winter Park, Maitland and Winter Garden to name a few.

Sounds like you've been offered a great opportunity. Hopefully you can adapt for a few months.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 07:14 AM
Lui

What'up Amy, I am from Brazil and live in Orlando for over 9 years. Sure, there is a lot of tourist oriented stuff to do but, for the locals this is a different town. There is a lot of things to do, specially now that is getting very hot. The beaches are 40 min. from here, Down Town has some World known nigth-clubs for all kinds of music taste. Water springs are all over the place and some are too cool to be missed. About a vegetarian restaurant, I really wouln'd know about that, but I'll bet ya they are somewhere. So, as you can see, there is a lot to do here in O town. Come and see us, you'll have fun.... Lui

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 07:38 AM
rob

.....something nice to say about O-town??.....hmmmmm....can't think of anything really. its like a big, hot, paved parking lot with infinite strip malls. yes, i live in O-town and am desperatly looking for a way out.....but of course this may be paradise compared to where you live...where-ever that is. there are lots of natural springs near-by and others within a short drive....and the beaches...cocoa bch being the closest although its very touristy....try playlinda bch or south melbourne bch. st. augustine is kinda neat....and the fla. keys. take up scuba diving.....or try surfing.