Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   "Little Womens' Musical in NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/little-womens-musical-in-nyc-481543/)

Maggi Oct 20th, 2004 01:05 PM

"Little Womens' Musical in NYC

I will be in New York with my niece the weekend of February 18th and would like very much to take her to the Virginia Theater for "Little Women". It previews December 2nd and opens in January. The broadway.com website has a malfunction on it's ticket alert e-mail window. Any suggestions for me on how to assure we will get tickets?

HowardR Oct 20th, 2004 01:26 PM

Here's a link for discount tickets:
http://www.entertainment-link.com/br...ttle-women.asp

Maggi Oct 20th, 2004 06:36 PM

Thanks, Howard!

Maggi Oct 20th, 2004 07:20 PM

Eek! Just noticed my major boo-boo in the title :-( Editing never was my strong suit!

Obviously meant to say
"Little Women" Musical in NYC.

Patrick Oct 20th, 2004 07:34 PM

It must be catching. There was a post last week about this show, but the title of that post called it "Little Woman".

Maggi Oct 21st, 2004 08:01 AM

LOL Patrick! I write our church bulletin and due to my lack of proofreading abilities have made a few memorable bloopers.

Maggi Oct 23rd, 2004 07:42 PM

To anyone interested in buying advance tickets: I checked out the site Howard recommended and he was right, they are available. The price for two tickets was $244.50 (which included $17.50 service charges and $29.50 "subscription fee"...?)
I decided to check further and was able to get tickets at www.telecharge.com for $214.50 (for two), a savings of $30. I had checked this site originally, but was unable to make it come up with Feb. 2005 dates. This time, I clicked on the year first and changed it from 2004 to 2005 and the rest went smoothly.

It is currently previewing at Duke U. in N.C. While the critical reviews for this show have not been over the top, broadway message board members who have seen it are raving about the set, the music, etc. It will certainly get some tweaking in the meantime, but I believe the final product will be really good.

djkbooks Oct 23rd, 2004 11:09 PM

Note also that this is an American Express Gold Card Event.

HowardR Oct 24th, 2004 05:07 AM

Tp clear up a little confusion about the above-mentioned website offering discount tickets. They do offer discounted tickets, but they are only available through the end of January. So, Maggi, I didn't check far enough in its calendar!

msmiller Oct 24th, 2004 03:22 PM

I just saw this today at Duke University in North Carolina, and give it an enthusiastic thumbs-up. Living in NC, I'm obviously not a Broadway expert or valid critic, but have seen a few productions in New York over the past few years. I think this one is great. Sutton Foster is superb (go, "Rodrigo!"), as was Maureen McGovern as Marmee. I liked all the cast, and Amy McAlexander as Amy was, well, I wanted to get out of my seat and slap her cross-eyed! She was perfect as that character.

Now, being the emotional weenie that I am--I'm the only person I know who can cry at a cat food commercial--when the man sitting next to me started wiping his eyes, I was completely undone. I'm willing to bet most of you won't have this problem!

Anyway, I think it's a great production and should do well in NYC; go see it!

Maggi Oct 24th, 2004 05:12 PM

Msmiller, how was Danny Gurwin as Laurie? We worked together some years ago here in the Detroit area and he is one of the reasons I am so keen to see this show. It's great to see one of your hometown people succeed in the Big Apple.

msmiller Oct 24th, 2004 05:49 PM

I thought "Laurie" was fantastic! As I said, I hardly qualify as any type of critic, but he was very funny, drawing big laughs in places, sang really well, and did a good job of portraying the painfully awkward, coming of age stage we've all suffered through. There was a great scene of him and Jo at the Valentine Ball...

His part is pretty big, so you'll enjoy seeing your friend.

Maggi Oct 25th, 2004 04:02 AM

Thanks, ms. I'm so happy to hear that.

HowardR Oct 26th, 2004 12:21 PM

Variety, the show business weekly paper, gave the show a mixed review, saying, "...the novel's essence--the compassion, poignancy, heartbreak, elation and hope of everyday life--is not sustained. The less a patron knows about the book or Alcott [the author], the more this musicalized version's charm will work..."

Maggi Oct 26th, 2004 12:46 PM

Howard, IMO no show or movie can ever do justice to the magic a book wreaks on the individual imagination of the readers. I hope by the time it opens in NY they will have gotten closer to the intent of the book.

I heard today from a friend who is in the show and he thinks it will do very well (although he is admittedly biased :-) )

HowardR Oct 26th, 2004 01:11 PM

Maggi, the mere fact that you have a friend in the show is incentive enough to go see the show...no matter what the advance comments about the show are.
Incidentally, what disturbed me about the writeup was the critic said that the creative team was sacrificing some of the book's greatest assets to create a more crowd-pleasing show for a contemporary audience.

Maggi Oct 26th, 2004 01:19 PM

Not a surprise, considering the competition and how much it costs to put up a show these days. They have to pay for it somehow. I don't know of too many producers who can afford to take a chance in the name of artistic purity. Hopefully, it will pique the interest of people enough to make them want to read the "original".

ncgrrl Oct 28th, 2004 08:01 AM

I went and saw "Little Women - The Musical" last night. I have no background in theater and read the book many years ago.

First, thanks to the folks here, because I missed reading about it in the newspaper and haven't seen any ads for it. I guess that's the same for other Durham residents because the show isn't a sell out.

As I was leaving I overheard a couple of people saying "good music, but I don't remember any of the lyrics". I'm not sure if that's a make or break because I don't know the lyrics to many shows.

Sutton Foster (Jo) is the main character. She does a great job with the role. I've never seen her work before, but she won a Tony award of "Thoroughly Modern Millie". She is the lead and all the other characters are in support of her. I wish Maureen McGovern (Marmee) had more to do in the production, but she does have solos in both acts. However, I really wanted her to sing the theme from "Ice Castles" but that wouldn't have been in keeping with the production.

The hardest role (for me) was Amy. If you're familiar with the book, she starts out as a bratty child and ends up married by the end. It's a hard role for the actress (sorry, I don't remember her name) because the actress looks like she's 13 and did bratty well.

I had a couple of script/technical problems I hope are fixed before Broadway. In one scene, Mr. Lawrence (Laurie's grandfather) mentions his daughter was Laurie's mom. If she is, why then is Laurie name then X.X. Lawrence III. Also with Mr. March. In the middle of Act I, Marmee heads off to tend to her injured husband. Nothing else is said of him until the end of Act II when his carriage is to arrive. A sentence or two more about where he's been would have helped me.

I have a feeling the scene with Jo and Beth when Beth is dying set at the beach will get cut because it's the only scene set there and it could be a $$savings to the production.

The part I enjoyed the most was the opening of Act II where Jo is in NY imaging one of her stories as a play while other cast members act it out. This scene uses all 10 members of the cast.

I think if the show opens on Broadway, it will do well. It's family friendly and in a few years it will become a high school theater staple.

bugswife1 Nov 4th, 2004 03:27 PM

Maggi, Broadway.com has been upgrading their sites for the past few days. They should be fixed about now. If you still have problems, email at [email protected]