Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Little Italy Restaurant (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/little-italy-restaurant-206591/)

Karen Nov 11th, 2001 02:49 PM

Little Italy Restaurant

Can anyone recommend a fun, lively restaurant -- price range no more than $25 - $30 for entrees.

david Nov 11th, 2001 03:55 PM

You can eat at most, if not all, the restaurants in little Italy for under that price range. In addition, most are fun & lively as well. I ate at Vincents and found it to be just ok.

xxx Nov 11th, 2001 03:58 PM

Karen -<BR><BR>Um, Little Italy in what city?

karen Nov 11th, 2001 04:55 PM

I'm referring to Little Italy in NYC.

Merilee Nov 12th, 2001 06:27 AM

I think DaNico's is still pretty good...and although it doesn't really mean anything, some of the cast members. of the Sopranos go there as well as some of the New York Yankees.

sss Nov 12th, 2001 06:36 AM

I would check out Zagat's for that price and pick a well regarded Italian restaurant. I am not aware of wonderful Italian food in little Italy. The meals I have had in Little Italy have been heavy, rich and not at all like meals I have enjoyed in Italy. I am sorry to say I think it is more of tour bus thing that an actual culinary center in NYC. Dessert looks nice but I have not seen anything I can't find at Viennero's or other dessert shops around town. <BR><BR>Good luck but check Zagat's you could get lucky with a find in little Italy.

Phil Nov 12th, 2001 07:34 AM

Karen,<BR>A few choices in Little Italy to think about. All are on or just off Mulberry Street.<BR><BR>Il Cortile - among the best in the area, but may be a little above your price range.<BR><BR>Il Fornaio - Good place at prices that are around your target level.<BR><BR>Puglia's - Definately the most fun, lively place in the area. Note, the food is o.k., not great. You go for the cheap bottles of red wine, the communal tables, and the sing along's to "Volare" and "That's Amore". Like I said, the food is decent, not great. Stick to the pasta basics. Some people hate this place. But, in thr right frame of mind,with the right group, it can be a blast.<BR><BR>The one thing about New Yorkers, we all have different opinions and are willing to voice them. Some people may hate the places I mentioned. <BR><BR>If you want to form your own view, go to www.zagats.com website.

CM in Biloxi Nov 12th, 2001 01:46 PM

I am responding to Phil's reply about opinions. I am new to this message exchanging on the web. I guess it's not my thing since people aren't the least bit shy in putting other people down because their opinion differs from another poster. Wow!!!! I find it very strange when someone merely INQUIRES about something and they are seriously inundated with post after post of being bashed. Since when did the respect of opinions stop? I guess the world really is passing me by. Thanks for letting me vent.

Karen Nov 12th, 2001 02:53 PM

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to recommend. I'll check the suggestions here and compare with the Zagat choices. Although there seems to be some agreement that the Little Italy restaurants do not necessarily offer the best Italian cuisine, we thought it would be interesting to explore the area.

Phil Nov 12th, 2001 04:22 PM

CM,<BR>I think you made have read more into my comment than what was intended. My comment was meant to reflect that many restaurants in NY get mixed reviews. That would especially be true in an area, like Little Italy, where there are few standouts. <BR>I agree with you about rudeness on this website. However, I was merely alerting Karen to the fact that a few may not agree with me. I don't take offense to that as other's taste buds are different than mind.<BR><BR>

CM in Biloxi Nov 12th, 2001 06:37 PM

Phil -- No, I was not referring to your specific post. It just reminded me that I had been completely bashed on a question I posted on another thread. I wish more people could be as easy at accepting opinions as they are at giving them. I just get tired of reading "I'm right and you're wrong" because of a difference, as you say, in taste buds. Anyway, c'est la vie. Thanks again for listening to me!!!!

Frank Nov 13th, 2001 06:01 AM

Karen: Go to Little Italy for lunch, particularly on the weekend. You can eat off the special lunch menues for very little money. Also, check out Il Palazzo on Mulberry Street. Excellant food at reasonable prices.<BR><BR>Phil: Good review of those 3 restaurants, I eaten at all three and concur with all of your reviews nearly word for word.

sandy Nov 13th, 2001 08:21 AM

Hi Karen,<BR><BR>I just posted something about Da Nico's on the title about "Carnegie Deli."<BR><BR>We loved Da Nico's and it was very inexpensive.<BR><BR>Good luck,<BR>Sandy