Little Italy, New York City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2014, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being of Italian descent, I always visit the Little Italy area of NYC at Christmas Time. The restaurants still serve Italian food, but try to find Italian souveniers in the many shops and you will be amazed that not one little shop will carry even a little trinklet that represents Italy. Everything is "I Love New York." This is all well and good, but I can buy these items all over the city. The only store that truly belongs in the Little Italy area is E. Rossi & Company on Grand Street on the corner of Mulberry Street. His store sells beautiful products from Italy and therein I can also find a little trinket that says "i Love Italy."...
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 08:10 AM

Um, you're in New York - not Italy. That's like complaining you can;t find NY souvenirs near the American embassy in Rome.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 08:42 AM

I share your pain brother.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 08:46 AM

Are you sure they're not made in China??
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 08:54 AM

Maybe you can buy a boot for a very small person and put it on a key chain.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 09:25 AM

Little Italy is a shadow of it's former self - since most "italian-americans" in NY are 2nd, 3rd or more generations from Italy and live nowhere near Little Italy.

If you want excellent Italian groceries and food try Arthur Ave in the Bronx - but even they are 3rd generation at least now - and I don;t know of any place that sells souvenirs.

Doesn;t seem like there would be a market (unless you actually go to Italy )
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 09:33 AM

Di Palo in Little Italy is an excellent store for Italian provisions. It is more than symbolic that John Gotti's old "social club" is now a hipster boutique.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 12:19 PM

Totally agree with NYTraveler - that today - you get much more of a vintage Italian experience/selection on Arthur Avenue in the Bronx.

Went there a few years ago - while on a business trip - and was hosted by the third generation/owners of a restaurant/coop - during the Ferragosto celebration in the fall - and it looked like the wedding celebration in the Godfather. Three different youngish Italian crooners (think Bobby Darin for the oldsters - Richie Sambora for the younger set) - who made the young girls squeal, the little old/darling priest who conducted the blessing in Italian, women dressed to the nines, and on and on. http://www.ferragosto.com/
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 12:44 PM

http://majorfood.com/

These guys are young, hip, and inventive and are changing the restaurant climate in Little Italy. Their food is fabulous.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 11:28 AM

There are several Italian-themed gift stores in the Belmont area on and off Arthur Avenue, although who knows if half the wares are not made in China....many Albanian shops in that area now, too.

And here I thought Ferragosto was 15 August! If not Ferragosto, then why all those horrid traffic jams?