Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Little Italy, Chicago (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/little-italy-chicago-716031/)

JAGM Jun 25th, 2007 06:06 PM

Little Italy, Chicago

Going to Chicago next week and want to go to Little Italy. Where do I tell the cab driver to take me (streets)? Or what bus line should I take? Is Little Italy just a few blocks or larger? How long should I allow to stroll around? I would love to have a genuine Italian meal and some tiramasu. Thanks.

swalter518 Jun 25th, 2007 06:20 PM

Little Italy generally is Taylor Street on the near south west side. The neighborhood really only revolves around Taylor now and is being enveloped by the University of Illinois/Chicago. There are some great restaurants both sit down and casual dining (My favorites being Tuscany and La Vita but the ones I've tried are all good.) The neighborhood really isn't touristy at all- a few delis with kitchen supplies and a bakery or two. Other than that it's just restaurants.

Curious Jun 26th, 2007 09:13 AM

Just tell the cab driver you want to go to Little Italy, he will know what you want. From downtown, it's about a $12.00-$15.00 cab fare. It's just past the University of Chicago.

I also recommend Tuscany's. It doesn't get any more Italian than that and the food is very good. VERY NOISY, but fun.

Curious

CAPH52 Jun 26th, 2007 09:26 AM

Curious, think you meant to say University of Illinois at Chicago! :)

We had dinner at Tuscany a week ago Sunday and really enjoyed it. I agree with Curious, it's noisy! But very good!

JJ5 Jun 26th, 2007 11:16 AM

Oh, I haven't been down in quite a while. I'm glad to hear it was busy and good.

My aunts and uncles lived where U.of I. is now- actually in its parking lots.

My favorite was Febo's on 26th & Western, but it is all gone. I will have to try some of these mentioned, especially Tuscany.

Nevisian Jun 26th, 2007 11:47 AM

Now wait a minute. Little Italy used to be Hell's Kitchen which used to be Cabrini Green which isn't anymore. The "Little Italy" on Taylor isn't someplace I'd advise spending too much time - specially strolling around. There are great Italian restaruants in safer areas.

JJ5 Jun 26th, 2007 12:05 PM

Another time, another era- totally. How long have you been gone?

Little Italy/Taylor Street etc. and Cabrini Green- totally different entities.

I roamed Maxwell St.too when it still thrived at lunchtime when working at edge of U.of I. campus in 1966-68 too- walked throughout all-before, during and after.

Going to Little Italy to dine at Tuscany or any of these is fine. Also the area around U.S. Cellular Field - especially North of 31st- getting to be all the way to gentrified. I wish I could afford some of the townhouses going up there right now.

swalter518 Jun 26th, 2007 12:37 PM

No offense but Nevisian's got it wrong. Little Italy's no where near Cabrini Green (it was however an Italian neighborhood in the 20s and 30s). It's perfectly safe, even more now so than ever given that the few remaining seedy areas on Taylor are either boarded up or torn down. Now it's all high end townhouses or restaurants.

JAGM Jun 26th, 2007 12:49 PM

Thank you all. I think we'll try Tuscany's, esp since we just went to the "real" Tuscany in March.