List of DC Hotels- nice and near metro?

Dec 31st, 2002, 06:59 AM
mo

List of DC Hotels- nice and near metro?

Staying the weekend in DC this January. Wondering which of the hotels below is nicest and nearest a metro stop. THANKS for the input. We're looking for a nice hotel so if any aren't nice, please advise
Mo
$100 approx. Hotels
Hotel Madera
Hilton Washington and Towers
Jury's Washington
Washington Terrace

$150 (approx)hotels:
Omni Shoreham
Park Hyatt
Saint Gregory
Westin Fairfax/Embassy Row

Dec 31st, 2002, 09:21 AM
Mike

All are fine.

All are reasonably close to Metros, although Hilton,Washington Terrace, and Park Hyatt are less close.

Dec 31st, 2002, 11:32 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Two more possibilities near the Dupont Circle metro stop: Radisson Barcelo and the Hilton Embassy Row. (Both are within a half block of the Westin Fairfax). A $100 rate is very good for the Hilton Washington & Towers, which is a large convention hotel of more than 1,200 rooms. If you like LARGE guest rooms, it would be hard to beat the Radisson Barcelo.

Dec 31st, 2002, 02:51 PM
pam

On another wave length..look into the Dupont at the Circle. It is a great small inn about two blocks from the metro. The hosts are good democrats with knowledge of DC and surrounds. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves while there.

Dec 31st, 2002, 04:28 PM
Bill

Try the St. James Suites....it is VERY close to the Foggy Bottom Metro Station and in a very nice neighborhood. Got a great weekend rate there last year.

Dec 31st, 2002, 06:25 PM
xx

the Red Lion in Crystal City.

Jan 1st, 2003, 07:59 AM
Christina

It can be very cold in DC in January and sometimes bad snow/ice etc. For that reason, as long as you have so many good choices, I'd scratch those farther from the metro. Why bother, when you can have more convenient transportation? It's mild right now, but you never know.

In particular, I'd scratch the Hilton Washington and the Park Hyatt, Wash. Terrace, and the St Gregory. Closest are Jury's and the Westin Fairfax, then Madera and Omni Shoreham, probably. I don't know differences in niceness between those hotel rooms, but I know vacancy rates are low recently and hotels were offering very low rates for New Years, so I would have thought you could even do better than that $150 at some of those.

For a short weekend, I'd simply go for convenience and stay at Jury's or the Westin. I like that area best, anyway, for walking around and easy dining--plus, you may want to go to the Phillips Collection which is right there next to the Westin/Hilton Embassy. Perhaps Hilton has better deals on the Washington because conventions are down in January.

Jan 1st, 2003, 08:14 AM
Kim

Christina is right you can get lower rates. If you are a member of AAA the Westin has a rate of 115, and St. Gregory is running a promo of 99.00.

Jan 1st, 2003, 08:25 AM
xxx

Of those on your list, I've stayed at Jury's and enjoyed the amenities, size of room and location. However, you can't count on the staff for accurate directions or information about the city.