Lion King Seating, New Amsterdam Theatre, NYC

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 09:29 AM
Wondering

Lion King Seating, New Amsterdam Theatre, NYC

I am trying to book seats for the Lion King at the New Amsterdam Theatre in New York City for later this year. Best seats available are 2nd row orchestra or 1st row mezzanine. Which would give the best view of the stage for a family including children? I realize the orchestra seats are closer, but would the kids have to crane their necks to see over the stage? Thanks for your help.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 09:33 AM
jhm

I think the first row mezzanine would be better. It would give you all a great view of the stage, plus the non-stage choreography that goes on during the show (not to give away anything, but I think there would be a lot of neck-craning in the front row). Have a great time!

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 09:45 AM
Lori

We sat in the front row in London for this show and it was not comfortable at all. I'd think 1st row mezz would be a lot better for this show. We were looking up all the time, so I would guess kids would be really craning their necks.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 10:58 AM
rqf

I would think the 1st row mezzanine would be best with one caveat - the balcony railing could obstruct, partially, the view of the children.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 11:10 AM
XXX

The new Amsterdam Theatre offers booster seats for kids! My son used 2.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 11:23 AM
Patrick

Front row mezzanine are almost always my favorite seats for any show, particularly big shows and musicals. Second row orchestra is too close to enjoy and get a feel of perspective for the spectacle of Lion King, plus the little ones are likely to have heads in their way -- well, you are too. The booster seats were unknown to me, but that should eliminate the only possible drawback to the front row mezzanine -- the balcony railings.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 12:03 PM
Wondering

I appreciate everyone's quick response to my questions. I thought the mezzanine seats might be better, but really wasn't sure. It's helpful advice like this that make Fodors such a great travel site. Thanks again.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 02:28 PM
FedUp

Yeah, if they'd get rid of all the stupid comments and delete all the posts we waste our time reading, it really WOULD be a great site!

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 04:02 PM
Howard

Given the other choice (i.e., second row of the orchestra), I'm wondering whether the mezzanine seats are way off to the side. First row mezzanine center seats are usually among the best seats in the house!