Lindy's deli

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 05:21 PM
foster

Lindy's deli

Can someone please rate Lindy's Deli?

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 07:29 PM
dcp

If it's the same Lindy's that used to have "famously" delicious cheesecake, I'd give it a 3 on a scale of 10. It's expensive and just not that great. A lot better places for less money (IMHO).

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 08:00 PM
Leslie

Lindy's in New York (there are a few of them), is now owned by the same group that owns the TGI Friday's in NYC. I thought that the TGI chain was owned solely by Pillsbury, but some stores are franchised.

I had a slice of cheesecake at Lindy's in Time Square two weeks ago, and it was awful, and it was very expensive. Go to either the Stage or Carnegie Deli. I had a great sandwich at the Carnegie Deli and brought home a slice of cheesecake and a slice of apple streudel. Both were delish!

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 02:45 AM
Lindylu

I agree with Leslie about the Carnegie Deli. The best place for sandwiches and their desserts. Don't waste your time going to Lindy's. It's one step up from a fast food chain.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 04:09 AM
Parrot Mom

Having just come back from NYC yesterday and having lunch at the Carnegie...try the Stage..We ate there because of it's proximity to the theatre and the Carnegie is not "the be all and end off" of delis sad to say.. In proximity was the Stage, another one across the street and Lindys...I think Wolff's which we used to like (forgot it was so close) we overlooked.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 05:20 AM
Woody

Speaking of cheesecake, there is a place in the Grand Central Terminal that has WONDERFUL cheeecake. They sell it whole or by the slice. Their name escapes me, but perhaps someone else can post the name and tell us if they have other Manhattan locations.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 06:02 AM
suzanne

Woody- You're talking about Junior's, which has a small outpost on the lower level of Grand Central. The most famous - and best - cheesecake in the city.

I don't live too far from the original Junior's location (in Brooklyn)...which I think has the most incredible sandwiches, as well as cheesecake! Last night my BF and I went to Katz's for a corned beef sandwich, and both of us commented on how Junior's is just SO much better (we threw out the Katz's sandwich after 2 bites...it was incredibly fatty). I've had it with Katz's and think I'll only go there for their great hot dogs from now on.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Woody

Suzanne -- Yes, Junior's, that's it! INCREDIBLE cheesecake. Now I've got to get to their Brooklyn location to try their sandwiches. Thanks for the great info.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Postal

Aside from incredibly high prices and not-that-great cheesecake, Lindy's was unbelievably dirty the last time I was there. I wouldn't eat anything.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 04:44 PM
jeff

Lindy's is the most 'un-NYC deli' you can find here in NYC. Chain delis just do not come up to par.

My favorite is Katz's down on Houston (pronounced How-ston) Street. But if you can not go that far downtown, then go to either the Stage (second fav) or the Carnegie.

P.S. Leave the mayo / butter off the pastrami and corned beef sandwiches.