Lincoln's Cottage - A Relatively New Site to Visit in DC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I've lived in DC my whole life so I always love when I find a new place to visit. Today I visited Lincoln's Cottage on the grounds of the Solider's Home which is about 3 miles from the White House. The cottage was restored and opened to the public in 2008. The guide said they were still trying to get the word out about the cottage esp. in guide books.
The cottage itself is not as interesting as the narrative the guide gives as you go thru the 50mins-60 mins tour. The information she provided was fascinating in some cases. Of course she told us about the cottage and the grounds, but she also shared personal stories about President LIncoln and his wife, Mary. The grounds are lovely. I recommend a visit to the cottage esp for those interested in presidential history or Civil War History http://lincolncottage.org.
Cost for the tour is Adult: $15 & Children (6-12): $5. There is onsite free parking and the metro (Georgia Avenue/Petworth Metro Station on the Green & Yellow Lines) will get you to ~a mile away. Not sure about bus connections that should get you closer.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 01:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My daughter will be in DC next week. I will pass it along.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be sure to plot your route with GPS or Googlemaps (whether driving, going by taxi, or walking from Metro) because it is really off the beaten path. And very much worth the effort.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 02:59 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"because it is really off the beaten path."

That's for sure…our cab driver couldn't even find it at first.

We were there in 2009 (when we met YT at the DC GTG). As you can see, Tracy helped old Abe in a rainstorm.

http://travelswithmaitaitom.com/Tom_...Our_House.html

Old Jun 27th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Quite often DC cab drivers don't know where anything is. I had to look at Google map to verify best way to get there.
You guys are so cutting edge, you must have been there shortly after it opened.
BTW we used a Groupon 2 for 1 coupon so if interested keep an eye out for them.
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 08:11 AM

We visited the Lincoln Cottage last year and enjoyed it very much. The grounds of the Soldiers Home are lovely and the history of the Cottage is quite interesting.

However, I don't think it is an attraction I would recommend for the typical first-time visitor to Washington D.C. It is fairly far from downtown D.C. (at least 20 minutes by car and 25 minutes + nearly a mile walk by bus or Metro) and not that easy to find--even for a local. The entry fee is a bit steep too, especially considering most of the museums and all of the monuments are free to see. If you do decide to visit, you should be aware that the cottage is only sparsely furnished (and some rooms have no furniture at all). You won't see it decorated as it was when Lincoln lived in it.
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 08:52 AM

I love the Lincoln Cottage. We didn't think it was difficult to find, but it certainly is off the beaten path. We were fortunate that the friends we were staying with drove us there. For a tourist in the summer, I would recommend a taxi. It's not a bad walk, though, if the weather is good and mobility is not an issue.

The reason it's so out of the way is that the Lincolns used it as a summer home, believe it or not. It's set slightly above the rest of the city, on verdant grounds. The breezes up there made it cooler, and also safer, it was thought, from summer fevers. And it offered them a greater measure of privacy.

The guides are excellent, IME, and worth every penny. I actually found the absence of "stuff"--furniture, that is, and knickknacks and such--and also its modest size made the experience more soulful. I thought you could really feel Lincoln's presence there.
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Good points, longhorn. The guide we had was outstanding and the history she shared was well beyond what one learns in school or reads in a book. I think history buffs would find the cottage tour quite interesting and perhaps worth the effort to get there.

Per the website, there is a bus that stops right outside
"The H8 Metro Bus stops at “Rock Creek Church Rd NW and Upshur Street NW” (stop # 1002986) immediately in front of the Eagle Gate entrance. After exiting the bus, the gate will be on the right-hand side of the road. "