Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Lightest wheeled carryon softsided luggage? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lightest-wheeled-carryon-softsided-luggage-686580/)

lisa Mar 10th, 2007 05:57 AM

Lightest wheeled carryon softsided luggage?

DH & I are in the market for new carryons with wheels. We currently have Eagle Creek Switchbacks which we have had for years, and love them but we often fly airlines with strict weight limits and this time around we want to get the absolute lightest ones we can find. For an upcoming trip each carryon piece cannot exceed 7kgs (15 lbs) fully packed. This is a challenge as our current ones are nearly 11 lbs even when they are empty! Maximum linear dimensions are 45 inches (e.g. 22x14x9). We do not need anything fancy, nothing expandable, don't need a lot of pockets or extras -- just super lightweight and with wheels (yes we know the wheels add weight). We are trying to think outside the box here -- it can be a wheeled duffel bag or backpack or even a wheeled tote bag for all we care as long as it fits the dimensions. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance

rkkwan Mar 10th, 2007 06:08 AM

I don't know which one is the absolutely lightest, but I know which is <b>very light</b> yet <b>very affordable</b>. The Skyway Sigma 2, $40 from ebags.com. I bought my mom one, and it's very nice.

21x13x8.5, 7lb 6oz.

When my mom's bag was weighed at an airport counter during our trip to Italy it's about 11 lb, loaded.

suze Mar 10th, 2007 07:45 AM

It's the wheels and frame &amp; handle mechanism, that make it a certain weight (I've never found a wheeled bag less than ~7 lbs. and believe me I've looked!).

To get a truly light bag, I think you'd need to be willing to give up the wheels &amp; go with a nylon duffel bag style.

bugswife1 Mar 10th, 2007 08:00 AM

I had the same issue when I went on Safari last year. maximum of 22 lbs and must be soft sided. The wheels add about 3 to 4 lbs onto the luggage. We ended up without wheels--Rick Steve's backdoor bag (i think it has another name now). They were about $100 each. you can carry it like a back pack or over your shoulder. So we have used them once and probably won't use them again. I was going to put them up on ebay next week. If you are interested, email me, and I will give you more info. [email protected]. One is teal and the other is blue. The only reason I am selling them is that I live in NYC and space is a premium.

maryann Mar 10th, 2007 08:32 AM

I have 2 29&quot; rolling duffle bags. They have wheels but not the long metal ribs and handles. Just hard plastic bottom that keeps it from bending in the middle. The handle is cloth. They weigh less than 7 lbs and are very good guage softside material.These are too big for carryon but I wanted to describe mine that don't weigh 7 lbs +.

On packinglight.com, they have alot of all kinds of luggage WITH the weight of each one.

lisa Mar 10th, 2007 02:41 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I spent a lot of time looking on packinglight.com and ebags.com and a few others today. So far I think the lightest one with wheels that I've found is the Osprey Vector 22-inch, which is 6 lbs. 2 oz.
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...-product-_-p2p
Not too bad! I'm still looking though so if anyone finds anything lighter let me know.

TxTravelPro Mar 10th, 2007 02:57 PM

Do you have an REI locally? They have some great luggage and many are very light, well designed and durable.

gopug Mar 26th, 2007 07:12 AM

I have 22&quot; wheeled 7 1/2 lb Eagle Creek which is wonderful but am looking for lighter to carry up 135 steps in Positano. Have found on-line A.SAKS On The Go 20 inch Expandable Wheeled Duffel Bag, weighing only 4 lbs 7 oz. Anyone have one, how is it to pack, looks OK but wondering?

traveller69 Mar 26th, 2007 07:29 AM

Heyes make a hard sided carry on at about 5 1/2 lbs. They have wheeled totes as well but they are about 7 lbs. I don't have one but I have friends who have the hard sided luggage and just love it. If you google heyes luggage there are all sorts of websites selling it. I don't need luggage right now but I am going to buy it next time.

LLindaC Mar 26th, 2007 07:44 AM

This is completely off the subject, lol, but when I purchased my backpack last year from ebags, I was able to save $25 through the erewards program. You do online surveys for them and they give you e dollars. They can also be used for airline and hotel points.

nibblette Mar 26th, 2007 08:02 AM

I have the Heys luggage. It is great. Very light and holds a lot. It is gorgeous with shiny colors. It fits into the sizer boxes perfectly.
The main drawbacks are the finish and no outside pockets. Because of the shiny finish, the manufacturer recommends that the luggage be carry-on ONLY. Even with carry-on, my luggage has a few areas where the finish has been scraped off. I can't imagine what the finish would look like with the checked luggage handling.

sharona Mar 26th, 2007 08:35 AM

Check out this site: www.asaks.com/pages/cotrolley.html. The 20x12x12 inch wheeled duffel is only 4.8 pounds. Plus it expands. I don't have personal experience with this brand but I found it while looking for lightweight luggage for myself. You can purchase it at www.luggage.com.

lisa Mar 29th, 2007 12:42 PM

Thanks, I think the A. Saks one might be just what I'm looking for!

suze Mar 29th, 2007 01:33 PM

I don't like ones that are &quot;floppy&quot; like that. I prefer a nice normal rectangular shape. Without too many zippers or pockets, etc.

GBC Mar 30th, 2007 01:44 PM

Check the one on Rick Steves website. It is pretty light. We bought it after lots of study. It isn't quite as 'dressed up' as our other luggage (no leather trim, etc.) but it seems strong enough, it rolls easily, and the price is right.

gopug Apr 18th, 2007 05:50 PM

I just got the ASaks on the go 20&quot; wheeled that is supposed to weight 4lbs7oz and it weighs over 6lbs so back it goes, $135 for 1 and 1/2 lbs less than my Eagle Creek isn't worth it. Liked the looks if I didn't have mine.

lindsyb Apr 19th, 2007 03:39 AM

We recently purchased luggage from LLBean that was much lighter than our previous Samsonite set. It is called Quickload and it is wheeled but can also be carried as a duffle. We've enjoyed so far!

SusanMargaret Apr 19th, 2007 04:40 AM

To check the weight of different carryons have a look at ebags.com. The website gives you the features and weight of each piece of luggage they sell.