Lido Beach area---do I need a car?

Oct 17th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Lido Beach area---do I need a car?

We are trying to put together a trip for winter break in Feb. We found a hotel located near St. Armand's Circle. I was thinking we could walk to restaurants and shops. Would we be sorry if we didn't have a car?
Oct 17th, 2005, 01:29 PM
LN

If you have transportation from the airport and want to get to restaurants and shops only then you shouldn't need a car. Everything is very convenient around st Armands and Lido Beach.
Oct 17th, 2005, 04:03 PM

If you are OK with staying put then you'll be OK without a car. But if you want to go to any sights (the Ringling Museum, Marie Selby Gardens, Myakka River State Park), then you'll wish you had a car. Florida is not a good place to rely on mass transit. If you figure out the cost of a cab from the airport and back and then figure the cost of a rental car, compare the two and see if it's worth it to spring for a car.
Oct 17th, 2005, 08:44 PM

I agree that the cost of a car is probably insignificant compared to cab fare to and from airport.
Oct 28th, 2005, 06:13 AM

How long are you staying? If only a few days, then no car is needed if your hotel has an airport shuttle. Walking the beach and shopping at St. Armand's Circle, dining at the Columbia, Hemingways, Cha Cha Coconuts or any of the other dozen restaurants on the circle, ice cream cones at one of the great places will keep you busy. One of the best memories my husband has of our first vacation on Lido Beach is getting up early before the family stirred and walking over to a bakery and getting a great muffin and coffee and just sitting on a bench facing one of the canals to watch the birds, boats and people begin their day. It was a beautiful and serene way to start the day. If you are staying more than 3 days I would recommend a car. As mentioned above, the Ringling Museum is a 15 minute drive away and is a world class Art museum not to be missed. We have been to many in Europe and this is as good as many we have seen over there. The Selby Gardens orchids are gorgeous, and Ellenton Outlet Mall is a wonderful place to visit on a cool or blustery day (we might have one or two of those days in Feb.). Sarasota has a wonderful Opera house with excellent presentations that would be going on while you are there, not to mention the Van Wezel Performing Arts Center. You can see acts there that appear in Las Vegas, Broadway, etc. Sarasota also has a large Amish community that will be wintering there at that time. If you like home made Amish food, there are several great restaurants, save room for PIE!!
We vacationed there several times before moving to Fl. and we love it. Good luck on the decision about the car. You really don't need it if you just want to veg on the beach and shop, but otherwise you will.
Nov 1st, 2005, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I guess we would be sorry if we were stuck in one place without a car.

What hotels are the nicest?
Nov 2nd, 2005, 09:38 AM

Hi lindam, the Opera House in Sarasota that Geckolips mentioned was originally in Asolo, Veneto region of Italy. It was taken apart and moved to Sarasota. Some old timers in that area are still angry about that! Do at least take a look at it. And have a fun trip, you will be in a beautiful area.