Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   LGA transportation to Westin Times Square for 6 people (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lga-transportation-to-westin-times-square-for-6-people-666189/)

elaine123 Dec 26th, 2006 10:41 AM

LGA transportation to Westin Times Square for 6 people

What would be the best transportation option for 6 people, 4 adults, 2 teens, from LGA to the Westin Times Square. We are arriving on a Sunday, midday. Four of us are healthy, good walkers, the other 2 are 62+, and fairly healthy, but I don't want to tire them out the first day. Would 2 taxis be the best way to go? If so, what would be the approximate cost?

NeoPatrick Dec 26th, 2006 10:45 AM

I guess you lost your other identical post? If you click on your screen name at the top of this page, it will bring up all your posts in the left hand column.
Your question has already been answered there. Expect to pay about $25 for each of two taxis plus tip and toll, more like $65 total for the two taxis.

nytraveler Dec 26th, 2006 10:51 AM

You could check with a couple of the car services to see what they charge for a vehicle that can carry 6 plus luggage (Carmel, Tel Aviv, Dial 7). With the recent increase in taxi fares I would assume each cab would be about $30 plus tip and toll (if any).

elaine123 Dec 26th, 2006 01:05 PM

Thanks for the info.

mclaurie Dec 27th, 2006 04:51 AM

2 taxis will be about $70 so compare that to quotes you get from some of the services for 1 vehicle. I'd try limores.net

KendraM Dec 28th, 2006 03:32 PM

We just returned from NY and used Dial 7 car service. They did a great job. A nice town car was $40 from LGA to Midtown (55 and 5). 212-777-7777 (easy to remember). Cabs were quoting a flat rate of $45 to the airport. They have limos, but I didn't need the extra room. Have a fun trip.

mclaurie Dec 28th, 2006 03:52 PM

Cabs were quoting a flat rate of $45 to/from LGA? That's illegal. That's the price to/from JFK.

nytraveler Dec 28th, 2006 04:07 PM

That's right - the only flat fares to/fro any airport are $45 from Manhattan/JFK - perhaps there was some confusin about which airport. There are NO flat fares to/fro LGA for taxis.

rqf Dec 29th, 2006 03:51 AM

Two taxis would cost about $75, tip and toll included. A mini van from a car service would cost about the same. An airport bus to the bus terminal across the street from the hotel would cost about the same for six people. Going by taxi is the best way to go.

elaine123 Dec 29th, 2006 01:47 PM

I think we'll take the taxi route. Any advise...Do we just walk out of the airport and then just get into the taxi line? Are the taxis reliable which are available in this line?

nytraveler Dec 29th, 2006 04:18 PM

In NYC all taxis are bright yellow with medallions on the hood and lights on the top. Only official taxis are allowed on the taxi line.

Do not accept rides form anyone else - this is illegal and these are often scams (changing prices once they have your luggage captive.)

AntInNewYork Jan 2nd, 2007 07:26 PM

I may have missed this but did you try asking the hotel what car service they recommend? Perhaps they have one that they deal with that can get you a good rate.

Listen to NYTraveler - just get right on the cab line and into a yellow one if that's the way you're going and you will be fine. Make sure you have the address and cross streets handy.