Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

LGA to the W-Times Square at 9:30am on Thanksgiving Morning

Old Nov 15th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best way to get from LaGuardia to the W-Times Square at 9:30am on Thanksgiving Morning????

Will the roads be gridlocked because of the parade? If so, is it better to take the M60 or Q33 to the subway and then in to the hotel?

I'd prefer to take a Taxi, but if it isn't going to be efficient (cost, time, or otherwise)... what's another option?
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 07:18 AM

"Will the roads be gridlocked because of the parade?

Yes--at least in the area of your hotel and any area through which the parade passes.

And the parade passes through Times Square so all public transportation will be diverted. To avoid the crush, the Times Square subway station is actually closed during parade hours. The parade itself will reach Times Square right around 9:30am . . . is that your arrival time at Laguardia?

I'd probably opt for a taxi or car service, and have them take the Triboro (RFK) bridge and go across town while still uptown (north of 96th St), then travel down the far west side to the 40s. The taxi/car may be able to get as close as 8th Ave and 47th and then you would have to walk to the hotel.
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 10:33 AM

Traffic midtown will be at a complete standstill during the parade. Add to that the thousands and thousands watching, many from the outer boroughs, NJ, Long Island and tourists and yo can get the picture.

I'm guess that a taxi will cost a fortune to get there, so I'd suggest getting a service car like Dial 7 or Carmel that way even in traffic it is a set price instead of being on the taxi meter.

Probably your best bet will be to take the RFK Bridge to the Harlem River Drive and down the West Side Highway to 42nd St, that way you will miss alot of the traffic. I would not try the local Avenues, as they will be jammed solid.

Good luck.
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 10:46 AM

If you don't have a lot of luggage, this is the ideal time to take the subway. If you take the Q33 bus to Jackson Heights, you can jump on the subway (take the E train) and get off at Penn Station or the Port Authority; alternately you can take the 7 train to Times Square and walk underground to the Port Authority, which should be open, then walk up 8th Avenue to your hotel. Regardless, you walk up 8th (and only 8th) and turn at the street of your hotel. You might be able to get to the hotel if you can show the police a print-out of your reservation. But you will be arriving at the height of the parade, so good luck.

This is not a particularly fast way into the city (it will take well over an hour), but it's cheap and will allow you to avoid the worst of the traffic problems, and I doubt that you'll get into town any faster any other way.

Alternately, the M60 bus goes to Manhattan from LGA and will allow you to get off at 125th Street/8th Avenue and then take the subway downtown, but my experience is that this takes a bit longer than the Q33 option. But on Thanksgiving, there may be little traffic uptown, so this might be a very good option.
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 01:26 PM

The stattion at 42nd Street and 6th Avenue, should be open it was open last year. The taxi driver can take you a nearby staion of the following trains:

B, D, F, M. The 7 also connects but by inderground passageway.
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 02:21 PM

The OP's hotel is on the other side of Times Square from 6th Ave. I would not want to deal with luggage with the crowds that will be at 42nd and 6th.
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the suggestions and information... we're still debating options, but it looks like Dial 7 or the Q33 (we won't have much luggage) are the front runners.