Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

LGA to Grand Hyatt for 5 adults in one family?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 10:31 AM
Deb

My husband, myself, and 3 teens will descend upon NYC in a few weeks. Do we take 2 cabs, a shuttle, a bus, or hire a driver? Just want to get into the city without breaking the bank. Thanks!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 10:41 AM
aMom

You would be best off calling a car service, telling them there are 5 of you and how many bags, so they can provide a car or minivan that can accommodate. Some city car service companies are Tel Aviv, Carmel, & Allstate. There are many more but I've used these. Each paying individually for the airport shuttle probably will be close to cost of private car.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 11:14 AM
Ted

Try a car service first, but if it's over $50, take two taxis if saving money is a priority.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 11:16 AM
Sue

Deb, call the car services mentioned above and compare their rates with the airport bus service the web ste is: http://www.nyairportservice.com/index.html if you purchase on the web the round trip fare is $16 per person. You'll want to get off the shuttle at Grand Central, the Hyatt is right across the street. Also, be sure to go to the Hyatt's website and sign your family up for the "Gold Passport" this gives you a newspaper every morning, free coffee (they might offer something else for the kids), "points" towards a free stay and best of all you can check in over the phone, or use the "express desk" in the hotel lobby - this is handy if you get there at a busy time, you won't have to wait. Have fun!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 12:27 PM
rqf

A minivan from Carmel (mentioned in another reply) would cost $34 plus a toll (3.50) and the tip. If you want the driver to meet you at the gate parking for the van would be extra.Two cabs would come to around $50, tip and toll included. The fastest most convenient way is the taxi. It will be a few dollars more than the van or airport bus option (if rt is purchased in advance) but the convenience could be worth the erxtra dollars. Super Shuttle and a shuttle that would deliver you to the hotel would be the most expensive and probably the slowest way to the hotel.