Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Lexington Hotel Near Horse Park? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lexington-hotel-near-horse-park-451124/)

siena1 Nov 12th, 2008 08:47 AM

Lexington Hotel Near Horse Park?

We're hoping to drive to Lexington sometime during the holiday season to see the lights at the Ky.Horse Park and see Santa. Lexington is just far enough that we should probably spend a night instead of trying to go roundtrip in one day.

Any suggestions of an inexpensive, yet clean, hotel near the park? There will be three of us, including a toddler.

Also, are the lights, etc. worth the trip?

Gekko Nov 12th, 2008 09:43 AM

There's a "Holidome" Holiday Inn on Newtown Pike near the Horse Park.

I've stayed there a few times while attending Rolex.

Sorry I can't comment on the lights.

carolyn Nov 12th, 2008 02:06 PM

I think your little one will really like the lights as well as a horse-drawn wagon ride. I've not been at Christmas time, but I did go as a chaperone on my grandson's fourth-grade class trip. They all loved the park.

siena1 Nov 12th, 2008 03:34 PM

Thanks! I'll check out the Holiday Inn.

jwall179 Nov 12th, 2008 10:02 PM

Embassy Suites & Marriott resort are also very close. Both are newer and have more to offer than the rather dated HI. A couple of miles down the interstate you will find Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn and an assortment of similar name brands. Enjoy.

siena1 Nov 17th, 2008 04:45 PM

Thanks Jwall! Will look into both.

ChristieP Nov 18th, 2008 03:25 AM

I'm in Lexington every summer for Breyerfest at the KHP. :-)

The Holiday Inn North is VERY moldy!! I personally cannot stay there because of my allergies. It is also NOT inexpensive and does not include free breakfast.

There is a La Quinta across the highway (on Stanton Way) that is MUCH better. Their breakfastis good, and I am sure it costs less!

One exit up, there is a Days Inn that has large rooms and is nice. Ask for an upstairs room away from the bar!

Marriott Griffin Gate and Embassy Suites are both nice, but they are not inexpensive!

siena1 Nov 18th, 2008 04:57 PM

Checked some of your suggestions on Tripadvisor. Embassy Suites and La Quinta look like possibilities. Days Inn had horrible reviews...is there more than one in town?

Also considering Holiday Inn Express (I assume this is different from "North"?) and Homewood Suites. HW Suites has great reviews, but isn't near the Horse Park.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

ChristieP Nov 18th, 2008 05:26 PM

I haven't stayed at that Days Inn for 2 years now (moved to La Quinta) so it may indeed have gone downhill...?

Skedaddle Nov 28th, 2008 05:29 PM

There is also a Sheraton Four Points at that exit (I-75 exit 115) that has recently been remodeled. The lights have been nice in the past (haven't been this year). You stay in your car and drive through slowly, so you can't do any photography there, though. There is a cute petting zoo area and marketplace after the car part, so that should be fun for the toddler. While you are in town, you might check out the Childrens Museum/Exploratorium. Sometimes they have fun activities for a child that age.

siena1 Nov 29th, 2008 07:07 PM

Thanks! Good to know the lights are fun!

I was reading about the Children's Museum. We might have to make a stop there as well.

kybourbon Nov 29th, 2008 07:38 PM

I would either stay off I-75 at one of the Georgetown exits which are close to the Horse Park or further south at the Hamburg/Man-O-War area. The area around the Newtown/75 exit is not the best nor is the Winchester Road interchange.

At the end of Southern Lights is a petting zoo.
http://www.southernlightsky.org/info.htm

If you plan to visit the Explorium, you might consider a hotel downtown.
http://www.visitlex.com/

siena1 Dec 8th, 2008 10:55 AM

What about restaurants near the Horse Park? Any recommendations for lunch and/or dinner?

Thanks!

kybourbon Dec 8th, 2008 04:19 PM

There aren't any restaurants by the Horse Park. It's out in the country and surrounded by farms. Across the road is Spindletop Hall, but it's members only. There's fast food at the I-75/Newtown Pike interchange or dinner only at The Mansion at Griffin Gate (next to the Marriott), but it's not really suitable for children. There are lots of chain restaurants at the I-75/Georgetown exits (turn right when leaving the Horse Park grounds to get to this section of the interstate).

siena1 Dec 8th, 2008 05:28 PM

Thanks KYbourbon! Good to know. Are the restaurants at the Georgetown exit interesting or are they just the standard chains?

Since we won't be in Lexington for long, I'm hoping we can eat somewhere with a little character. (Well, either way we'll be eating with a "little character." I guess what I mean is: we'd like to eat at a restaurant that is unique to Lexington!)

Skedaddle Dec 9th, 2008 04:50 PM

Around the exit in Georgetown there's just the standard chain stuff. In Georgetown on N. Broadway is a new resturant called 2:2:2 (it's at 222 N. Broadway). My parents (who live there) say it is very good.
Not sure how you feel about diners, but there is Sam's Truck Stop at the intersection of US25 and Ironworks Pike very near to the Horse Park. I would only go there for lunch, though. And I would definitely get the pie!
In Lexington, I recommend Ramsey's. It's very local and a little quirky. They definitely won't be bothered by a baby. The most "authentic" location is at High St. and Woodland Ave. Also, save room for the pie there!
Alfalfa's is on Main St. in Lexington and is a very vegetarian-friendly kind of place. Also welcoming for a child.
Natasha's is also in downtown Lexington. They have sort of global food - goulash, pizza, borsch. They also have an import store in which you can browse. If you decide to eat there for dinner, I'd just call ahead to make sure they aren't having an event. Sometimes they have a dinner theater or music or something where there aren't any reservations available for the evening. Fun place and good food, though. A little bohemian, but the baby will fit right in.

siena1 Dec 10th, 2008 05:47 AM

Thanks Skedaddle! This is very helpful. The diner definitely sounds good for lunch, and we might try either Ramsey's or Alfalfa for dinner.

I'll let you know how everything goes! :)

BetsyinKY Dec 10th, 2008 01:53 PM

I will second the recommendation for Ramsey's, especially since you will have a child with you. Another child friendly spot that is a Lexington favorite is Joe Bologna's Pizza. It is on Maxwell St. near the UK campus. Sometimes I have cravings for their garlic breadsticks!

siena1 Dec 14th, 2008 09:04 AM

Thanks for all of the advice!

We had a great time in Lexington. Ate at Ramsey's, walked around downtown, visited the Ky. Horse Park.

Didn't end up spending the night...decided to do the whole thing in one day.

Skedaddle Dec 16th, 2008 05:43 PM

Glad you had fun! Merry Christmas!