Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Let's do some good and get something nice to.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We all talk about doing good and helping those that deserve it and I wanted to pass this story on and encourage people to help.

This week we were slow around the office so I decided to take a day trip to Yoder. It is a nice little Amish community here in Kansas and while I was there I met this man and I think that his story is not only inspired but shows the spirit of America.

This gentleman was injured on his job and messed his back up. While he was trying to recover from his accident his job let him go. As bills started to mount he decided to sell his home to pay his bills.

He was to spend the next eight months living in a tent going every day to a truck line looking for a job. After a month of this he got his job and delivered parts for three years. He saved all that he could during that time and when the contract was finished he was left without a job.

So a friend of his showed him a candle that she had purchased at some store and he was encouraged, he had made candles in his youth. So taking what money he had saved he started making candles and going to different farmers markets selling his candles. Three years later he now has his own store in Yoder and has just about every sent under the sun. I recommend Clean Cotton and White tea and Ginger.

I think that someone who refused to give up when faced with odds not in his favor should be encouraged and that we that are blessed to have more then others do should try to support their endeavors.

As such I am passing on his number and I encourage all of you to call him up and order a few. They really are wonderful and I think that you will enjoy them. He told me that he will ship anywhere.

Yoder Candle Co.
9807 Main St. Suite D
Yoder, KS. 67585
620-465-3333
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 02:57 PM

Does this maybe belong in the lounge?
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Yes I posted here by mistake but if someone should be looking for something to do in Kansas here goes.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 03:05 PM

Is his name Stephen K Black? It's on his website

http://www.yoderkansas.com/yoder_candle.htm

I was curious if it's Googlable.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Ya thats him I did not know he had a site, or I would have posted it.