Let me tell you about my trip to Idaho!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHO WE ARE: Four adult couples who travel together about once every two years to enjoy the outdoors.

WHERE WE STAYED:I have posted reports on trip advisor about the two hotels at which we stayed.
The Idaho Rocky Mountain Ranch-south of Stanley
http://tinyurl.com/nwok2
I just can't stop gushing over IRMR, it was such a terrific experience. From drinking lemonade on the front porch, watching the eagles fly over the Sawtooths, reading in front of the fire in the cabin, seeing the full moon rise while lounging in the hot springs pool, it was the ideal place to be.

The Inn at Ellsworth Estate-Hailey
http://tinyurl.com/rpluu
This was so much nicer than a chain would have been. Add a gourmet breakfast and a chance to meet Elsa, the owner's Bernese Mountain Dog, it was special!

WHERE WE ATE:
We arrived on different flights from the East coast and opted to spend our first night in Hailey. After a few cold beers on the front porch of the Inn at Ellsworth Estate we walked down Main St to CK's Fine Foods for dinner. It was simply one of the best casual restaurants I have ever visited. The food was fresh and delicious. (Tiff, think Angry Trout) Although we enjoyed excellent mains(incredible wild salmon) and salads, all of us raved about the bread and the sorbets.
The next morning some of us were still on EDST so we walked in town to the Hailey Coffee Shop for some excellent coffee. They also had first class pastries which we had to sample. About nine Steve, the innkeeper, served a very good breakfast of fruit, eggs benedict over smoked trout and strawberry cream cheese french toast. We waddled out to begin our adventure.

Before heading north to Stanley, we stopped at Albertson's and stocked up on fruit, beer, wine and some basic hiking munchies. We bought a small styrofoam cooler which came in handy. We took the road over Galena Summit which is blessed with spectacular scenery. We stopped at Smiley's Creek for the much ballyhooed milkshakes (although they were delicious, we came to regret our excesses when we found out how fabulous desserts at Idaho Rocky Mountain Ranch are!)

Our breakfasts and dinners were included in the room rate at the IRMR. The food was very good. They have a new chef who is imaginative. His meals exceeded all our expectations. The pastry chef also wowed us with her lemon meringue pie, an incredible chocolate apricot torte....oh dear, the list does go on. A brief note about the professional service at IRMR. The general manager, Sandra Beckwith, is very much a presence at meals and during the day. She sets a high service standard. The staff are clean cut, professional and very personable. No one was ever too busy to chat or answer questions.

For the most part we ate our lunches on the trail. IRMR provides trail mix and we had the odds and ends we picked up in Hailey to make snacks. We did lunch one day at the Stanley Baking Company. Excellent! Fresh, organic salads, delicious soup and hearty sandwiches. The cookies were just perfect for our pre rafting trip snack (did I mention we are very active and had to keep our energy up???)We also had one lunch at the Kneadery in Ketchum. The food was good, the service frightening. The server was apparently angry about something and slammed dishes, snapped at customers and generally gave off the vibe of mass murderer in the making. We didn't linger.

WHAT WE DID:
We hiked several trails. One word of warning, the altitude can pack a wallop. Although I have hiked at high altitudes (Machu Picchu, Canadian Rockies) without a problem, I was definitely affected by the altitude on this trip. After a day or two it evened out, but be alert and carry lots of water, rest when you need it, and turn around to seek a lower altitude if you really start to feel it. It is not a matter of fitness or age and can affect you any time. The trails we took were well maintained but had few markings. It was easy to lose a trail in the snowbanks. A couple of times we ran into high water (apparently very heavy snowfall this winter) which made it a good idea to have some water sandals with us. Also important to check in at the Ranger stations for trail reports. We were discouraged from taking some popular trails (Alpine Lake) because the water was so high it would have presented a danger. We did Fourth of July Lake and Borah Lake, Horton's Peak (fabulous 360 view), Sawtooth Lake and several shorter hikes. We saw very little wildlife other than birds. The most spectacular thing we did see was the profusion of wildflowers of every variety. Just gorgeous colors in all directions.
We went to Custer, a ghost town northeast of Stanley. It is very interesting and the ranger there, Jenny, is a great storyteller and resource. We spent that afternoon on a rafting trip with White Otter Company. The trip was fun, but expensive for two hours ($67 per person). The guide we had talked non stop about herself and was a bit annoying, but the views are pretty and it was fun to splash around in the cold water for a while.
We saw some excellent mountain bike trails and a really nice trail from Hailey north which is paved and part of the rails to trails project. We will do that the next trip.
Enzian, I did not see any tennis courts up in Stanley. There were a number in Ketchum/Sun Valley which is about forty minutes south. Tiff, no golf courses for you and DH here. They, too, are in Ketchum/Sun Valley.

SOMETHING SPECIAL:
I am celebrating a big OH birthday this year. My pals decided to surprise me with something special every day while we were in Idaho. They conspired with Stephanie Knox, the office manager at IRMR. Stephanie really took this mission to heart.She decorated our cabin on the day of arrival, arranged a serenade, handled a terrific chocolate cake filled with fresh strawberries,mimosas for breakfast....Her infectious laugh and enthusiasm really added to the fun of the trip. Stephanie is a really wonderful part of what makes IRMR worth a visit.

SUMMING IT UP:

When I told friends in North Carolina I was headed to Idaho for a week, the general reaction was an incredulous "Idaho? What's there?" What we found were spectacular natural areas (Frank Church did very well by his home state in preservation of wilderness) and a popular commitment to outdoor activities. There is plenty of shopping and other diversion in Sun Valley, but when you are ready to find your place alone and feel the real splendor of America, head north to Stanley and beyond.

Old Jul 19th, 2006, 03:00 PM

I know someone who went to Idaho from San Francisco, and now I wonder if she was a part of your group
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 03:09 PM

Oh, cmcfong. It sounds like it was an absolutely fabulous trip and "Oh" birthday. I am so happy for you. Idaho IS really beautiful.

PS - I was thinking about you this afternoon. I decided to wade with the labs in the pond, slipped on the mud at the bottom and fell on my arse in the mud. Still had my margarita in hand though! As I was laughing at myself and wondered if anyone happened to see me I thought, "Well, cmcfong would have a good chuckle at this one!". Have no idea why - but I think you would have!
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 03:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I am sooo jealous! It sounds like a wonderful trip. I am going to put it on my must-do list.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Faina, all of our group came from North Carolina,so your friend was not one of us. There were several folks at IRMR from the Bay area so we may have crossed paths.
Birdie, you are right to be jealous. It really was spectacular.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Starrsville, you are so right, I would have loved to see it! You are my kind of gal.
The OH birthday continues, I have declared it the year of cmcfong and intend to celebrate for at least twelve months!
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 05:54 PM

I've got an OH coming up in October. Keep changing my mind where I want to celebrate it. I'm glad you had a good opening day to your OH year in Idaho!
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 06:02 PM

Hi C,

Your trip sounds just great! I always love going up to the Sawtooth/Ketchum area, even though I live in Park City. Live in one ski town, visit another!? Oh well.

The rail trail is a great bike ride. It goes all the way from Bellvue to Ketchum, where all kinds of bike trails join in. Not too hard either.

Hope you get to come out to the west again soon. Have you tried Utah yet?

Old Jul 19th, 2006, 06:07 PM

Wow What a great report on your trip! I live in Boise and I can attest to most of what you said but have little time now to do the hiking and such since having kids. I use to do lots of fly fishing with my husband around the Stanley/Lowman area, as well as the Wood River in Sun Valley/Hailey. (also Silver creek) Anyways, I have to laugh when people ask where Im from and I say Idaho and I get the same response as you...."Whats in Idaho?" Well now you know!
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Absolutely love Utah, Dayle. We have done Arches, Canyonlands, Moab, Gand Escalante, Zion and Bryce. One thing I definitely want to do is go and volunteer at the Best Friends facility. SLC is one of the prettiest major cities in the world. Oh, my cowboy hat is from Park City. Hard to choose a favorite, isn't it?
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

I'm a believer, Rese. Can't wait to get back. Love Boise!
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Starrsville, don't have just one OH celebration. Have twelve. There are too many choices to pick just one. My high school class is meeting in Charleston for our group OH, but there are little ones every month!
Here's a thought, come to Mt. Airy and I will treat you to an OH girls lunch at Goobers......
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 06:33 PM

Well, goooolll-lee, cmcfong. I just might do that! Can I have a Co-cola with peanuts in it for an appetizer? Maybe bonniebroad could drive up for a mini-GTG
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 06:37 PM

Happy Birthday Dear!!

It all sounds wonderful! It sounds like the sort of place, with the eagles in the air and the sights , that I would be walking around, looking up, stumbling along lol and perhaps falling on my arse in a cold stream ... starrsville, how did you manage to keep that drink in your hand?! lol
Welcome back...
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 06:44 PM

I was surprised too, Scarlett. I guess the answer to your question is "Priorities"
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Starrsville, whatever you want, the sky's the limit!
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 03:35 AM

i think i'll just copy this entire trip.
what a great report!sounds fabulous.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

lincasanova, do you have children who would be travelling with you? If so, this really is a great destination. The resort has horses on site and they offer a wonderful riding program. There were two little girls from Germany there at the same time as us and the staff would take them down to "run" the horses in the evenings. They loved it. IRMR also offers children's dinner hour and activities for them during the parents' dinner. One evening they feature a dutch oven dinner and all the guests are taken by wagon down to a corral area for the meal. The kids (and we) enjoyed it immensely. Stephanie Knox provided musical entertainment which really made it a lot of fun.
www.idahorocky.com/ I hope you will go and love it like we did!
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 05:00 AM

Thanks for the great report. Your photos on TA are beautiful! I'm adding the IRMR to my must do list, which is already way too long.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 05:17 AM

Thanks so much for your report, cmcfong

Two years ago when we went to YNP and GTNP, I wanted to include some time in Idaho, but couln't find too many who would "speak to the topic." I now know that Idaho deserves its own 2 weeks on one of our future trips and will save your report.

Could you give more info about your favorite or best hikes ? Length, difficulty and perhaps your fitness level. We have both passed a of O's, and unfortunately, our level of hiking is dipping a bit.

Did you have to make reservations really far ahead for the places you stayed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -