Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Length of time and maps-NEW ENGLAND (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/length-of-time-and-maps-new-england-79894/)

Caren Jul 18th, 2000 04:50 PM

Length of time and maps-NEW ENGLAND

First, can someone give me an idea how many miles or hours from: <BR> <BR>NY to CT: (I think it's 2 hours) <BR> <BR>CT to Rhode Island (Providence) <BR> <BR>Providence to Boston <BR> <BR>Assuming I take the highway first then the back roads once I'm there: <BR> <BR>Next: <BR> <BR>What are the best places to go to find out what roads are the best ones to take driving from NY through the New England states? Other than AAA...I'll be going during leaf peeper time and I'm a female traveling alone by car. I'll be staying at whatever hotels I find along the way and although I know there are probably MANY different roads one can take, I'd like to contact someone who can provide the best maps so that I won't go nuts trying to figure out where I am and where I'm going. Thank you.

Ruth Jul 18th, 2000 06:00 PM

Try mapquest.com. <BR> <BR>By the way, what's "leaf peeper time"? Do you mean the fall foliage season? (I'm just curious, I've never heard that phrase.)

Pris Jul 18th, 2000 06:17 PM

NY to where in CT? -- New Haven by car, maybe 1 hr. but Hartford, 1.5-2 hrs. <BR> <BR>Where in CT to Providence? New Haven to Prov. - 1.5-2 hrs. Prov. to Boston - 1- 1.5 hrs. Assuming no traffic tie-ups (Rte. 95 is a horror morning and evening on weekdays). <BR> <BR>"Leaf Peeper" time (a common phrase) is high, high season and if you don't have reservations already, you are probably going to have to sleep in your car, but get on the phone right away and try to make some reservations. There are some classic routes to take, and they are outlined in various guidebooks, but they usually refer to western Mass., Vt., NH and Maine. Things do get pretty around Boston and Prov. but it's not considered where to go to "peep" the leaves -- although it's still very high season in hotels in those cities.

Ruth Jul 18th, 2000 06:43 PM

So it is fall foliage! I learn something new all the time at Fodor's. Here is a site with good info on scenic drives: http://www.visitnewengland.com/foliage.htm. (I was going to do such a drive last fall, but got sidetracked.)

Paul Jul 18th, 2000 06:58 PM

Caren, <BR>Funny you should mention that -- I just returned from Barnes & Noble with three publications that will help me out on my holiday in October (also originating from NY). 1) New England Tourist Guide by Michelin, $20, ISBN 2061569099. <BR>2) New England w/ Hudson Valley, fold-up map # 473 (orange) by Michelin, $4.95, <BR>ISBN 2067004735. 3) New England's Best-Loved Driving Tours by Frommers, $15.95, ISBN 002862937X. Have looked at all and they are just what I was looking for. Have fun - happy leaf-peaping!

Donna F Jul 19th, 2000 05:14 AM

As someone already mentioned, make sure you have your reservations NOW. I doubt for example, if you can find a hotel room in Providence RI on Columbus Day weekend. Not only is it a popular time, but there's also a convention in town. However, I understand that Warwick has some less expensive hotels and isn't that far from Providence. You're going to find beautiful drives all over the place so maybe you should focus on some places you would like to see. Canterbury Shaker Village in NH is always lovely, a pretty drive not far from Concord and you would be out of the car for awhile. I'd also recommend a foliage cruise out of Portsmouth NH or anyplace else. Maybe stop at Yankee Candle in MA or Sturbridge Village. Warner NH has a great foliage festival with a fun parade of local floats, great craft show, yummy food. Surprisingly, Rt 89 from Concord to Warner is quite beautiful in a couple of spots but the drive on Rt 103 will take you near Gould Hill Farm where you pick your own apples. In the past we have spent a weekend in one location and then driven around. It might be better to do that. Concord NH to Providence RI for example is only 2 hrs. If you stayed somewhere between you could enjoy RI one day, Boston another, NH another. Trust me, it's always nice not to worry about where you'll find breakfast in the morning. Have fun!