Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Legoland? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/legoland-253819/)

Tammy Aug 28th, 2002 08:35 AM

Legoland?

Has anyone taken a 2-1/2 year old to Legoland? Is it worth it? We've only got 4 days in September and think Sea World and Legoland might be a bit much. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Dana Aug 28th, 2002 08:46 AM

I live in San Diego & have a 2 1/2 yr old son. SKIP Legoland! He had to be 35 inches tall to go on most rides, and he was 34, so he could only go on 4 rides, that's it!! SeaWorld will be great. My son loves the Dolphin show & there is a new show with Cats & Dogs, but sit in the middle, not to the sides. Balboa Park has a really wonderful playground and the Natural History Museum has a Dinosaur exhibit, if your child is into that yet. Of course the zoo is great, you could just go for a few hours? You can cover quite a bit in just 3 hours or so. Have a great vacation!

Jo Aug 30th, 2002 09:39 AM

Legoland is great for younger kids, but do check the height requirements. We took our two little girls(about age 2.5 and 4 at the time) and they were both tall enough to go on most rides. We had a fantastic time and stayed all day. We did Sea World the next day and also had a great time. Don't forget sunscreen and a hat for the little one and yourself!

steve Aug 31st, 2002 07:51 PM

I would vote for Sea World over Legoland. Everyone will enjoy Sea World and frankly, adults don't have alot to do at Legoland except say 'Gee, itsn't that amazing that they built that out of legos'<BR><BR>Adult admission at Legoland is ridiculously expensive

Lexma90 Aug 31st, 2002 08:34 PM

We took our 3-year-old to Legoland last winter and she had a great time. We also went to Sea World, and I think she liked that as well, but you'll have to decide whether you kid would prefer a place where he/she can ride on rides and do things (Legoland) or look at animals (Sea World).<BR><BR>There is a height requirement, and there were rides that my daughter couldn't go on (she's short for her age), but I do think there were more than 4 that she could - the pretend cars through a jungle safari (on a track), the boat ride, the little-kids car driving place (they drove themselves - it was hilarious), the ride where the adults can pedal to make the car move faster (one of the best rides I've ever been on - slow, but a little bit of a workout). The ride with the pretend horse was cute, and she was just tall enough for that.<BR><BR>There's also a couple of playgrounds, which she & her older sibling enjoyed (I did think at that point, I spent HOW MUCH for them to play at the playground), a water area where you an get a little or a lot wet, and several areas where you can build stuff out of legos (and then buy the product of your labors).<BR><BR>When we went, the park was pretty empty, compared to Sea World, which was packed.<BR><BR>I would not suggest the zoo - it's absolutely beautiful, and an amazing collection of animals, but kids don't understand why the San Digeo Zoo is different from other zoos, and it is big and a bit difficult to get around in because of the size and topography (tucked into hills and valleys).

x Sep 3rd, 2002 08:21 AM

with only 4 days, i'd just stick to sea world. most kids have as much fun at the beach as they do at any of the exhibits. i'd spend the first day at the beach, second day at sea world, third day take the ferry from downtown to coronado (most kids like boat rides)and rent a bike to explore the island. the del coronado has a wonderful beach to take a break at. last day spend at the beach and maybe go to the "children's pool" in la jolla to view the sea lions. smelly but kids love it.

Mar Sep 5th, 2002 12:36 PM

I agree with the others. While my older kids had a good time, younger kids were left out of things and the parents were "kill me now, make the suffering end" bored. Don't make me go back to Legoland. Caveat on SeaWorld: they try to sell you things EVERYWHERE!