Lee Vining Motel and Tioga Pass

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying in Lee Vining one night before braving the Tioga Pass to Yosemite. We will eat dinner in the Deli but which motel to stay in? I had thought the Best Western but it has some terrible reviews on TripAdvisor. Murphys got some better ones. I don't like highway noise so I need a motel where they can give me a room away from that. Where to eat breakfast? Deli again?
On the subject of the Pass will we be on the mountain side or steep drop side as we go into Yosemite? Many thanks.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Going up the pass you will be on the mountain side. Watch out for rocks that have fallen into the roadway.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 12:48 PM
mpf

In Lee Vining, Best Western and Murphys are your choices. If you are coming up Hwy 395, Mammoth and June Lakes are also possibilities.

Tioga Pass Road and the scenery is wonderful, and you will be hugging the mountain. It is not a freeway; it's a good road, very scenic and moves along comfortably.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 02:18 PM

Looks like you are coming from Las Vegas so you can stay in Mammoth lakes or June Lakes as has been suggested. Mammoth is only 25 minutes to the turn off to Tioga Pass. June Lakes is less.

From what I have seen the Best Western looks fine from the outside so what's everyone's beef?
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 02:49 PM

I haven't the faintest idea why the Best Western got worse reviews than Murphys. Murphys is way cheaper, and they are both on the highway. And, AAA gives Best Western three diamonds and Murphy's only two.

But I do have some experience with it. We stayed at the BW last year, and they said all of their rooms were taken but we could have "an apartment" at no extra cost. The "apartment" turns out to be a one bedroom mobile home parked behind the motel. So we had a bedroom, living and dining room and full kitchen. We were very comfortable.

Needless to say we scoured the one deli/grocery for dinner and breakfast stuff and enjoyed ourselves in front of the TV, and loved our morning coffee (we carry our own cofee, and travel coffee maker, but it was nice to have a real coffee maker.

Because of the location behind the motel it was quiet. If it is still there, see if you could score this. (I had the impression that there was another mobile home on the property, but can't be sure.)
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 03:22 PM

You'll probably rise earlier than usual--there isn't much reason to stay in Lee Vining any longer than necessary.

While you are in the area, don't miss Bodie--it is the most fascinating ghost town you are likely to ever see.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 03:30 PM

Yes, Bodie is a "real" ghost town, but be aware that you will need to drive north on 395 and then east on a dirt road to get there and then back to Lee Vining for your trip across Tioga Pass.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 03:32 PM

Actually----Mono Lake is well worth exploring. Go to the nature center (the turn is just north of town, a bit past the Mono Inn) and walk the boardwalk to the water's edge. Signs note the changing levels of the lake over the years---it is finally on its way to recovery, thanks to the efforts of the Mono Lake Committee. You will see an amazing number of birds on the water from the observation platform.

And if you'd like a nicer dinner than you can find at the Deli, try the Mono Inn. For breakfast, if you are content with coffee and a scone, you can join the locals at the little coffee place on the corner--I can't remember the name, but I think it's the corner of Third Ave. If not there, one block away.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone, I was dreading the pass into Yosemite and you have made me feel much better! We will be cutting our teeth on Big Sur anyway and we will be edge side for that!
I am going to go for Best Western at Lee Vinning I am sure it will be fine, I will ask for a quiet room. We are definitely going to Bodie and also to Mono Lake, I am enormously looking forward to both.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 04:50 PM

How late in the year is the pass generally open??
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 07:06 PM

I'll give you the link so you can peruse the history of Tioga Pass's opening and closing dates. It has to snow before they close it.
http://www.monobasinresearch.org/data/tiogapass.htm
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 07:11 PM

Don't worry about Tioga Pass as far as driving is concerned. It is not loaded with precipitous curves and drop-offs.

Have fun.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 08:16 PM

Hilary,

Like Happytrailstoyou, I want to reassure you about the Tioga Pass road. It is wide, well-graded, and has no sharp curves. Even on the "outside", by the drop-off, I don't see anything to worry about---there is a good wide shoulder there. And you will be on the mountain side, where there is nothing to worry about. Just be sure that the driver doesn't gawk----pull off the road to look around. And do watch out for rocks---small ones roll off the mountainside every now and then. But it is a spectacular drive, and not scary at all.

I hope you enjoy Mono Lake and Yosemite as well.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you again everyone for the re-assurance about the road. Hilary