Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   L'Ecole Restaurant, NY (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lecole-restaurant-ny-214364/)

Nina May 5th, 2002 06:09 PM

L'Ecole Restaurant, NY

I know that I have seen past posts here, on this restaurant, but I can't seem to find them by doing a search of this board. I don't remember the exact contents of these posts, but now we are thinking of eating there and I would like some feedback.<BR><BR>I know that there is a pre 8PM fixed four course menu, and after 8:00PM, there is a five course menu, with apparently fewer choices. Are both of these prix fixed menus offered after 8:00PM or just the five course?<BR><BR>Chowhound had very mixed reviews.<BR><BR>Thanks.<BR><BR>

Owen O'Neill May 5th, 2002 06:55 PM

I've been three times, all for dinner and always prior to 8 PM. Had the four course - appetizer, entree, salad and dessert. There are generally two dishes (steak and lamb) that have an upcharge of about $8-9 over the fixed price. Service has always been friendly and unpretentious but not at the highest level only because the servers are students at the school and learning the trade. I'm no gourmand but think I can recognize and appreciate good food. My meals there haver been excelllent - truly excellent. IMHO you will get a meal for $30 that would cost $60 in any other restaurant in NYC. Just my expereience but my three visits were spaced out over a four year period so it does seem consistent. You cannot get in without reservations and if going on a weekend reserve well in advance - it is sold out every weekend - was even sold out on my last visit which was only a month after 9/11 when many other restaurants were sitting half empty. Get the creme brulee - I almost wish I could go and just get creme brulee for all four courses - it's that good! By the way... food is at a great price but the bottled waters and tea etc. will quickly boost price. Regardless. for two people with one entree upcharge, one large bottle of water, two pots of tea and one glass of wine my last meal there was about $105 with tax and tip. By far the best food I've ever had for the money (I've actually spent more and gotten far lesser quality elsewhere).

Nina May 5th, 2002 08:13 PM

Thanks Owen, that is exactly what I hoped to hear.<BR><BR>Creme brulee for all four courses - we'd think that we had died and gone to heaven ;-)<BR><BR>It is our absolute fav dessert, if made properly, which unfortunately, isn't often the case.

Owen O'Neill May 6th, 2002 06:40 AM

Nina - the creme brulee really is fantastic. I took a friend there who has visited and eaten in Paris on many, many occasions. Her favorite dessert is also creme brulee - she swears that L'Ecole has the best she's ever tried (I haven't been to Paris but I agree that it's incredible). By the way... although folks tend to get dressy for dining there, it's by no means coat and tie for men. Dressy casual clothes are appropriate if you wish although you will see some suits.

Nina May 6th, 2002 08:34 AM

Owen, I have had some of the best, and some of the worst creme brulee in Paris. It is probably one of the most inconsistent desserts ever, but still our all time favorite when it's done right. Thanks for the attire info. <BR><BR>With my luck, L'Ecole will not be serving it the night we are there.<BR><BR>While we are 'dressy casual', you will be in shorts and a tee shirt. Our trips will be at the same time.