Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Leaving on my flight to chicago soon! What are some things I should definitely not miss?

Leaving on my flight to chicago soon! What are some things I should definitely not miss?

Apr 21st, 2005, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

I have been checking the weather and it seems like it may rain thru the weekend. Just wanted to set my priorities with your help. Thanks!
Apr 21st, 2005, 10:00 AM

Have you done some reading (such as on the fodor's miniguide and searches of this forum)? Each person's priorities are different. Let us know what has interested you from your reading (or do some if you haven't yet!) and we can help more.
Apr 21st, 2005, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

yes, i have done some reading-fodors, trip advisor. I just wanted to get an idea of what you travelers liked. I liked the parks, fairs, shopping, dining, zoo--activities that a family can enjoy.
Apr 21st, 2005, 10:12 AM

Sommer: are you traveling with children? If so, how old?
Apr 21st, 2005, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

yes-- one child 18 months old
Apr 21st, 2005, 10:16 AM

Dont miss the Marshall Fields store on State street!
Apr 21st, 2005, 10:19 AM

It is supposed to be pretty cold here this weekend so bring warm clothes. They are even calling for snow. Where are you staying? What kind of food do you like? Your kids would probably enjoy Ed Debevic's - 50s diner with rude waiters and entertainment. There are also alot of chain restaurants the kids would like such as Rainforest Cafe, Cheesecake Factory and ESPN Zone. Museum of Science in Industry is always a hit with the kids as well as the Field Museum and Shedd Aquarium. If you give us some more input, we can give you some more advice.
Apr 21st, 2005, 10:21 AM

Just saw your child is only 18 months so my suggestions might not apply. There is the Children's Museum on Navy Pier. It is all hands on. I think your child might enjoy that unless he/she is even too young for that?
Apr 21st, 2005, 10:24 AM

I have no idea whether it was a temporary display...but there was an incredible exhibit of stained glass windows at Navy Pier when I was there last. Beautiful. Loved looking down from the top of the Sears Tower, too. Great photos from up there! Ooohed and aahhed about the Magnificent Mile shopping, too!
Apr 21st, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions! I am just kinda bummed that they are expecting it to rain. Now--also snow!!?!?! That is fine for me because I am bring LOTS of clothing, but it limits you to what you can do.
Apr 21st, 2005, 10:45 AM

I wanted to post my trip report for you to review but I can't figure out how to copy the link. If you type "Chicago trip report" in the search box and scroll down, you will find it. The museums are great for rainy days (or sunny days for that matter) - but of course, your little one will be your guide on whether it's right for you. The perfect rainy day activity would be shopping and eating, of course Have a great trip!
Apr 21st, 2005, 10:48 AM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34528750

I hope this works (thanks, mclaurie!)
Apr 21st, 2005, 11:03 AM

I tend to be a little more positive when it comes to the weather and take whatever Mother Nature gives you. From the NWS 7 day forcast...rain ENDING Friday night. Saturday - partly cloudy hi of 44 - breezy. Sunday - mostly cloudy hi of 48 - breezy. No mention of rain or snow but breezy will mean WINDY. Definitely recommend the Children's Museum at Navy Pier and Lincoln Park Zoo.
Apr 21st, 2005, 11:21 AM
JJ5

The 18 month old will like the Shedd Aquarium. I did it last summer with a 4 year old and 20 month old, and also my daughter (the boys' mom) and one other adult.

The youngest loved the "tide" coming in and didn't want to leave that area for 20 minutes. It was like every 3 minutes that it "turned" - it was doing it just for him. He pressed against the glass in anticipation and LAUGH, and I kept having to hold him back. The penquins, dolphins etc. etc. It's like no other aquarium- more like Sea World without the ocean. Soundings was white table cloth there but we found it quiet and calming for the kids. You will find tons of Chicago kid friendly places to eat in every price range.

Navy Pier is nice with a stroller but not so hot in the windy, colder weather, IMHO. Of course, you can go inside but Children's Museum is rather small and the IMAX and shops are much more the attraction. Don't think the ferris wheel is going in April.

Visit the Cultural Center (inside) and walk down State St. from State/Madison (Field's) and check out the Carson's Bldg. It will not be too cold. And it isn't going to rain for you, let alone snow- I just know it won't. The tulips are open already.
Apr 21st, 2005, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys! Im on my way out!