Reload this Page >

renting a convertible in FL

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2002, 01:18 PM
chris

I am planning to drive from Miami Int'l to Key West and thought it would be cool to rent a convertible rather than a traditional car.

I don't see convertibles listed as an option on the mainstream car rental sites (Hertz, Avis, etc). Do I need to call, or do I have to go to a special rental company?

I would like to rent a simple convertible, like a Mustang or something, not a luxury car.

Any thoughts?

Old May 7th, 2002, 01:33 PM
marilyn

In Miami for 24 hours last February, picked up a Budget rental. Had asked for compact car. Counter person said, "Is a two-door car OK?" Sure, we said. It was a kelly green Mustang convertible--we though we had died and gone to heaven! Maybe a convertible is a lot more standard in Florida.

Old May 7th, 2002, 01:40 PM
alex

They are definitely listed as an option on Alamo. Sometimes you have to call the location and ask. Hertz definitely rents convertibles (alot of mustangs). Ocasionally, they will not let you "reserve" one but you can get upgraded upon arrival like Marilyn did. They have tons of convertibles at both the Miami and Ft. Lauderdale airports.

Old May 7th, 2002, 01:49 PM
alex

National Car Rental lists convertibles as an option too (www.nationalcar.com). They use a camaro as an example.

Old May 7th, 2002, 01:53 PM
OO

There are tons of rental convertibles (Mustangs, Chryslers) all over Florida! In fact, if I see a convertible at midday with the top down this time of year, I'm extra careful driving around it, because it's undoubtedly a tourist (sometimes known for making right turns from middle lanes if they see they are missing their exit).

Convertibles are fun and I've got one, but this time of year, chances are the top is up. Winter is our top-down season!! It is darned hot already...lower 90's every day in Tampa. You'll be driving with top down and air conditioner on. Sunscreen too.

Old May 7th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Susan

Go w/ the Chrysler Sebring from National! Fun! Fun! Fun!

Old May 7th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Will

Driving to Key West is great with the top down. I have done it several times. But you will need alot of sunscreen! Alamo rents convertibles cheap in Miami. Try using rate code OG. They will give you, most likely, a Camaro or Eclipse Spyder.

Old May 7th, 2002, 05:19 PM
Nowafloridian

I rented a convertible in Florida once and would never do it again. Why? Its too hot to keep it down, and Florida has many sudden showers. I luckily pulled into a covered gas station seconds before one hit. Good Luck to you if you do rent one.

Old May 8th, 2002, 05:40 AM
chris

Hey, thanks all for the input! I will look into each one.

I am concerned about the rain issue - especially if we're cruising down to Key West on the causeway when a thunder cloud rolls in. So, maybe I'll get a little wet - I don't care 'cause I'll be on VACATION!!!

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Nowafloridian

Just bring an umbrella, you can drive with it open (just kidding) at least in the keys it doesn't rain as often.

Old May 8th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Postal

Convertibles are almost always offered for about $10 more per day if you rent a "no frills" car so you'll probably get a much better deal if you don;t reserve it first!

Old May 8th, 2002, 03:49 PM
M

One thing to consider. I rented a convertible to do just that thing a few yrs ago. As I was pulling out of Hertz I saw one of those luxury car places that was renting convertible porche for only $5 more a day. You might look for a local rental company.

Old May 8th, 2002, 05:13 PM
Lenleigh

We rented one last year in June from Alamo. We had a few choices on what we could take and we chose the Eclipse Spyder and it was AWESOME!!! I didnt regret a thing about it. If it rains, the top is very easy/quick to put up. Personally I love to drive with the windows down even when it is hot out so it didnt bother me. The dirve from Miami to the Keys is beautiful!We paid more for it but it was our honeymoon and worth it!

Old May 8th, 2002, 06:12 PM
x

I always rent a convertible when traveling to Florida.

Be prepared for a very small trunk and back seat. The Chrysler Sebring is the roomiest. The others mentioned here are smaller. Thrifty has the Sebring.

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:51 PM
Patrick

You saw a place renting a convertible Porsche for just $5.00 more per day? Surely you are kidding! If you are serious, or even if you made a typo and meant $50 more per day, you could do us all a big service and tell us the name of this incredible bargain giver!!!