Kihei/Wailea Temperature in August

Old May 4th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kihei/Wailea Temperature in August

Looking at a private home accommodation in Kihei/Wailea area for August. No air conditioning but have been told by owner that they are on a hillside and have tradewinds blowing that keep accommodation cool and they have a pool. Other accommodation we are looking at is in Kapalua area. Advice, opinions?
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:19 PM
bonniebroad

I love Wailea/Kihei, but would never rent a place with no A/C there in August. We've been there when it was incredibly hot and humid, when the tradewinds seemed to have practically stopped, the first week in October! Also there toward the end of July....... and I would not have wanted a place with no A/C then. I'm not crazy about high heat and humidity, and I wouldn't take the chance. I'd go for Kapalua that time of year... a little cooler, breezier, more showers. Have a wonderful stay, whatever you decide!

Old May 4th, 2005, 12:28 PM

The average high in Wailea in August is 87 (F) and the low 77 (F), according to Fourseasons.com. Recall Here_Today uses her A/C only a few days a year. I cannot believe all those places w/o A/C could survive economically if it were really necessary for the comfort of the guests. Guess it depends a great deal on what you're used to.
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:45 PM

I live Kihei, and although I have A/C, I only used it once last summer, and even then it was more to see how well it worked. I face the ocean and my place was built to take advantage of the trades, with many large windows. Most everyone I know has much the same and I can't honestly think of anyone I know who uses A/C regularly. Where is the home located? It is not uncommon to have a home with no A/C. I have many friends with gorgeous big homes with no A/C on the home at all.

Daytime temps usually run in the 80's, but the trades blow faiyly consistantly May-Aug, and it cools quite a bit at night. We don't get those hot, sticky, humid, unbearable nights like they get on the east coast on the mainland.
Old May 4th, 2005, 01:00 PM

Friends of mine have stayed in condos with no air conditioning in Kihei in July and August, and it was not comfortable. It might be different if you were in an individual home built to take advantage of the breezes. Some people love air conditioning, and some people do not. Hot and humid means different things to different people. I hope you make the right decision for you.
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:04 PM

The Kapalua area is breezier and generally more comfortable in the summer, yet mimimal rain.
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

it's a VRBO under Wailea. OceanView Hideaway. I think it's on Kaleo Place Road. Studio hideaway looks really nice and it's been featured on Fine Living a few years ago.
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:19 AM

We were in Wailea in January and one morning it was so humid, you could cut the air with a knife! I could NOT imagine being a room then w/o a/c. This was in January!

Don't listen to condo owners who swear you won't need a/c. I've heard that "song and dance" before and for our next trip in February we have booked condos in both Kihei and Kaanapali with air. If you don't need it, you don't use it. But if you need it, you won't be happy if it's not available.