Le Scandal at the Cutting Room in NYC

Old Feb 8th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Le Scandal at the Cutting Room in NYC

Has anyone ever seen this show? What did you think?
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 11:41 AM

I saw it two weeks ago. It was TERRIBLE! A huge waste of time and money. The show was supposed to start at 11, but didn't get rolling until 11:50. Then, they don't even have a proper stage, just some tables and mikes at the end of a large room. The band was okay-ish, but the MC was terrible. He was an acrobat, and just kept doing these silly flips. They had a contortionist who was neat, but the belly-dancing/sword swallower gave me nightmares. I think the woman was 70 years old. (Google "Natasha the sword swallower" and you'll find her website, but bring your eye bleach.) They had "Little Brooklyn" do a number where she was both King Kong and the girl, but it was neither funny nor erotic.

And that was about it! They had one other singer, but she was just crude and also quite old.

Don't waste your time. I wish I could recommend a better burlesque place in the city. Does anyone else know of any?
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

I'm so glad you answered, it sounds awful! I was looking for something fun to do for Valentines Day so I'll keep looking. We usually go to an old B&W movie at BAM but it sold out before I could get tickets. I was hoping this show would be something like the Bindlestiff Family Circus, but I guess not! If you haven't seen that it was fun a few years ago and it's coming back in March. Here's another burlesque show I found http://www.thisisburlesque.com/ I haven't seen it but I've seen the Pontani Sisters doing a variety type show and they are really great. If you search for The World Famous Pontani Sisters you'll find their website.

Does anyone have any simple but sweet valentine ideas?
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 12:17 PM

They're probably sold out already, but there is a drive in movie theater in Manhattan that is way fun.

http://www.139norfolk.com/

They basically parked a car inside a store and decorated so it looks like an old drive in theater - fake lights for stars and all. You rent the place and it's totally private... very fun and different.

Good luck!
Old Dec 25th, 2012, 08:34 AM

I've seen Le Scandal a few times because I love the whole ny burlesque scene. I've been to many shows, and I thought Le Scandal was great!! It's very polished, professional, and entertaining. And sexy. The singer MC was in her late 30s and looked great!! I guess if you're in your 20s, that's old. The sword swallower is 50s?? I'm not sure, but I was watching her swallow a 29 inch neon glow in the dark sword, so wasn't thinking about her age. I'm sorry but "happy-train" sounds age obsessed. I enjoy performers that are all ages. If they are good, what does that matter. You can go to a strip club to see 20 something yr.old barbie doll performers, with no skills. Would you make the same ageist remarks about Broadway performers.
Old Dec 25th, 2012, 08:37 AM

also, show now at the West Bank Cafe, which has no line wait time.
Terrible long lines and show delay times when it was at it's previous location, which was a dump.
Old Dec 25th, 2012, 10:11 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
pearlbella - you are almost 5 years late
Old Dec 25th, 2012, 06:12 PM

But btw, the Cutting Room, the bar/music venue co-owned by Chris Noth, has recently reopened in NYC after being closed for several years. Great intimate live music venue, if you can get in; get tix ahead fo the re is live music when you want to go.. I am going in January to hear Rachel Sage there.