Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

LDI: Asticou Inn (NW Harbor) OR Claremont Inn (SW Harbor)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2022, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry forgot to tag Maine, couple in 50's, have car. rate on cleanliness, location, etc. thanks
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 09:27 AM
Fodors Moderator

You can add or change tags by clicking the Edit Tags button at the bottom of this page

Old Jun 6th, 2022, 03:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're staying awhile and you plan to go into Bar Harbor frequently for shoppes, restaurants etc, then Claremont is a half hour drive each way. Asticou is maybe 15-20 mins. I think that's about the only advantage to staying at the Asticou, oh and the popovers.

Claremont is the old grande dame, and recently renovated. I would imagine that it is quite a bit pricier than the rustic Asticou? And Claremont adds an annoying $35 per night "fee".

Cleanliness? I can't imagine you'd have a problem at either place, both have great reputations, but who knows in these days when hotels and restaurants can't seem to find anyone who wants a summer job. Both will probably be staffed mostly with students from overseas. Rooms at both are mostly on the small side and Asticou is definitely more "old fashioned". Ocean views are more extensive around the Claremont, Asticou is more of a harborside view.

I don't think either hotel has an elevator, so if you choose a high floor you'll be hauling your bags up 3 or 4 flights of stairs. Also the Asticou does not have tvs.
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 03:08 AM

I've never been to the Claremont, but even though we camp we go to the Asticou for lunch every year. The deck overlooking Southwest Harbor is devine!