Search

Layover in JFK, what to do in the city

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Layover in JFK, what to do in the city

Hello everyone,

I have a trip in December that involves a layover in JFK. We (me, husband and 3 yr old) in JFK at 3:00 PM and depart at 10:00 PM.
We're thinking of going to the city and spend a few hours there but the weather forecast is for a windy 38 degrees and we're Floridians... Any recommendations for indoors stuff to do with a 3 yr old?

Thanks

Cherrios!
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 07:27 AM

Have lunch amd go to Toys R US or FAO Schwarz.

By the time you get into the city it will be 4 PM and then you have to be back at the aiport by 8 PM.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 07:27 AM

This is a tricky amount of time. Seven hours seems like a lot, but with JFK it's not really that much time, or rather just too little to make a trip into Manhattan feasible. Based on travel times from JFK by taxi/car service (recommended for your group of three)--allow 45-75 minutes each way for holiday/rush hour traffic and weather--and two hour check-in time, I'd estimate you might grab three hours at best in Manhattan. Is that worth is to you when dealing with your small child?
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 07:33 AM

"Is that worth IT to you when dealing with your small child?"

If you DO decide to try this, you might concentrate on the Rockefeller Center area for full Christmas effect. Or easier on you child, the Bryant Park area, with Christmas Market and ice skating rink.

By the way, a taxi or car service will cost $45 plus toll and tip (probably a total of $60) each way from JFK.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 07:56 AM

I absolutely do NOT recommend a taxi for this trip. Arriving at 3pm is going to put you in Manhattan during the beginning of the evening rush, as will your return trip, and that could add significantly to the travel time. Take the Airtrain to the LIRR at Jamaica and then into the city (about $12 each .. more on the way back). You're not saving anything in terms of money over the cost of a taxi, but it's almost certainly going to be faster.

When you arrive in Penn Station, you can take the subway somewhere. I'd go to Rock Center to see the tree despite the crowds and then down Fifth Avenue (to see store window displays) to Bryant Park at 42nd Street for the Christmas market (and perhaps ice skating) unless the weather is wet. Pop into Le Pain Quotidien for some hot chocolate, then head back to the airport. You'll be able to deal with the cold if you have coats; if not, the subway is there, or you could take taxis, but you'll end up spending half your time stuck in traffic. Be sure to head back to the airport no later than 7pm (and you'll pay a little more going back because it's peak hours to Long Island).
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 08:09 AM

I was recommending a taxi or car based on the party including a three-year-old child. I can't imagine taking a child off a flight and then dealing with them though the train transferring process. The OP will know better what their child can stand.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 09:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Doug is assuming that the poster is arriving during the week. If it is a Saturday or Sunday, then use a taxi.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the suggestions.

We're flying this Thursday, are there any museums that we can go to and enjoy with our 3-yr old boy?
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 09:08 AM

Despite the presence of the 3 year-old, the OP is still going to get stuck in traffic. So I stand by the train as the preferred mode of travel. (Even on a Saturday or Sunday during Christmas season, traffic can be a horrible bear in Manhattan ... so while I'd ordinarily agree with tom42, I don't in this case.)
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 09:37 AM

I would be hesitant to try to visit the city in this amount of time.

Have you looked to see what time the plane usually arrives. 3 pm is late enough in the day that the flight is likely to be late. Assuming your luggage is cheked through you will still hae to dealk withyour carry-ons - do you plan on checking them at JFK - which I beleive has only one place for doing so.

Assuming your plane actually lands around 3:30 by the time you deplane, get to the AirTrain, get to the luggage check and stow it it will be around 4:30 - getting you into the city by about 5:30 (using Air Train and LIRR (I wouldn't do cab or car service this time of day/year - there will be too much traffic. Assuming you need to check in at 8 pm for a 10 pm flight and an hour back to the airport - you will have to leave the city about 7 pm - leaving you 1.5 hours in Manhattan - 2 hours at the most.

To me, not really worth all the trekking to and fro.

I would sign up for the airline club and just relax there.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 09:40 AM

Sorry - if your flight in is an international flight it will take even longer to get out of the airport - getting through immigration, waiting for and picking up your luggage, then rechecking it.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 04:29 PM

For Rockefeller Center, better just take the "E" train direct from Jamaica/Sutphin Ave to 5th Ave/53rd, instead of using the LIRR to Penn and having to switch to subway again. Cheaper, one fewer switch, basically same amount of time.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 05:26 PM

I agree with those who think it's not worth making the sizable trek out from JFK to Manhattan and back with so little time. On top of the reasons already given, you're assuming public transportation will run smoothly without disabled trains, signal problems, service interruptions, and such. And cabs can get caught in severe traffic jams, especially during rush hour.

You might be fine, but delays of this type are always possible, and it would be lousy to be stuck on the subway or in traffic when your plane is due to take off -- and it's not an impossibility.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 07:00 PM

I think it's worth heading to the city. IF your flight arrives on time - or fairly close - and you don't need baggage claim, you can take a cab to the city and be there by about 4 PM. I'd go to Rockefeller Center as others suggest. You can go to FAO Schwartz as well, which isnt too far. I think that a visit to the city for a few hours is worth it. Find a place to eat and then take the subway back to the airport. leave about 7:00. that give you 3 hours in the city. Nearly 7 hours at JFK would be dreadful.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 07:52 PM

We once had a few hour layover at Da Vinci (airport) in Rome and we raced into the city for lunch and raced back for our flight. Just the advernture was fun. We did not, however, have a three year old in tow.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 05:39 AM

My experience has been that it takes a minimum of 30 minutes from the time your plane reaches the gate to get to Jamaica Station using the Airtrain. This assumes you are going directly to the Airtrain once you deplane, with no stops for checking or retrieving luggage. The trains from Jamaica to Penn Station run pretty frequently. There are trains that leave Jamaica Station at 3:50, 4:05, 4:14 and 4:22 that will get you to Penn Station between 4:11 and 4:41. From there, you still have to get to where you decide to go. So add in another half hour. If you take the train back, you have to factor in at least another hour or hour and a half from the time you get back to Penn Station to your arrival at your terminal in JFK. So you are talking about approximately 3 hours of travel time, if all goes smoothly. If you are flying domestically, you should be fine getting to the airport an hour and a half before your flight, so plan on no later than 8:30. So you should probably start your trek back at around 7:00. That would give you about 2.5 hours in the city.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 06:50 AM

You asked "are there any museums that we can go to and enjoy with our 3-yr old boy?" - There are litterally scores, if not hundreds, of museums in the NYC area (do a google search for "New York City Museums" and you'll find pages of links) but I seriously doubt your 3 YO would know the differences between them. Besides, with a 3PM arrival plus your travel time to into the city you'd be getting to the museum of your choice around closing time so that's not a viable option.

As someone who lived in the NYC area for over 45 years I have to agree with other that your travel times from the airport is going to eat up a significant portion of your layover - with a 3PM scheduled arrival time you are going to get caught up in "rush hour" traffic - there's no if, ands or buts about it. In addition, you'll no doubt want to stop for dinner which will use up more of your "sightseeing time".

If you are comfortable with the travel time constraints mentioned above and you don't mind the hassles of dealing with your carry-on's, the varagies of getting around the city once you are there then by all means take a trip into the city. If on the other hand you want a stress free layover, then do as nytraveler suggest, purchase an day pass for your airlines "airport club" and plan on having dinner at one of the airport restaurants - spend your time relaxing rather than travelling back and forth to the city.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 09:55 AM

I'll weigh in somewhere in the middle. For the time of day you're arriving, a museum is not going to work as they all close around 5 during the week. The only one remotely appropriate for the 3 yr old is the Children's Museum. http://www.cmom.org/ If YOU (not the 3 yr old) want to see the Rockefeller Center Xmas tree or do some Xmas shopping or look at the Xmas windows, then it's worth going into Manhattan assuming the weather is ok and you're dressed properly. If, however, you're headed to a warm weather destination and won't have warm clothes, it makes no sense. The toddler won't remember, whatever you decide.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 10:07 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Are either of your flights international? Then you have to factor in some add'l time in the airport for customs/passport control/check in or whichever, depending on which is the international leg.

Also - you'll have to deal w/ schlepping your carry-on's plus the 3 yo/stroller whatever.

Plus w/ the very good chance there will be flight delays on a winter afternoon -- I personally would not even consider going into the city.

One traveler, a morning flight, during better weather - that would be entirely different.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 10:18 AM

nytraveler - can you sign up for an airline club on a one time basis? Do you have an idea how much it would cost? If it isn't exorbitantly expensive, it sounds like a great idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -