Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   LAX - Terminal 1 & 2 questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lax-terminal-1-and-2-questions-364173/)

MaryRay Oct 7th, 2003 12:05 PM

LAX - Terminal 1 & 2 questions

Need help....I'm flying Northwest Air arriving at Terminal 2 - my friend is flying in on United arriving at Terminal 1. How do I get over to where she will be?? Is there a shuttle - or is there 1 central spot where we can find each other?? Also, this will be at 11 pm on a Friday night..

Many thanks!!

John71cove Oct 7th, 2003 12:12 PM

There is a shuttle. I think it runs every 15 minutes. Go to LAX Airport web site. All the details are there.
John

rjw_lgb_ca Oct 7th, 2003 12:20 PM

There will probably still be a lot of people (and security) around. You will have to meet outside the secure area, so walk out of Baggage Claim, lower level, at Terminal 2, take a left, and walk toward Terminal 1 baggage claim....

WAITTAMINUTE. United flies into Terminal <b>7</b> for domestic, and I think it's <b>6</b> for international. OK, then the airport shuttle will be your only real option. I don't ever use it, but ask an employee and they'll point you to the shuttle stop outside Baggage Claim. You'll have to wait there (you might be able to get inside the claim area, but I'm not 100% sure).

Boonie Oct 7th, 2003 12:23 PM

There are 7 terminals at LAX. Terminal 1
(the first as one enters the airport and the one which houses US Air and Southwest) and 2 are next to each other (a short walk).
There is a shuttle which circles the airport
(if you use it be sure not to take the one
that leaves LAX and goes to Parking Lot C) to go between terminals. If your friend is truly arriving at Terminal 1 (the only way your friend could be arriving there is if her flight is a US Air/United codeshare operated by US Air), then I suggest you meet either at baggage claim or a rental car desk at one of the two terminals (lower level). Please have your friend re-check the arrival terminal for her United flight. Actual United Airlines flights arrive at Terminal 7 (the farthest from
Terminal 1 and necessitating the shuttle) and a few of their flights at Terminal 6. Hope this helps.

Deborah Oct 7th, 2003 01:54 PM

United is actually Terminals 7 &amp; 8. Continental Airlines &amp; some overflow Delta Airlines is Terminal 6. There is one small area at the back of Terminal 6 that United uses. LAX Shuttle &quot;A&quot; is the airport shuttle that will take you from Terminal 2 to Terminal 7. LAX Shuttles &quot;B&quot; and &quot;C&quot; are parking lot shuttles only. I would check the board outside to see which gate she arrives so you can meet her at the baggage claim for that flight. It could actually be in Continental's baggage claim area. This was the case with a friend of mine that came in from Philly on United and was waiting for me at Continental. Confused? So was I.

jason888 Oct 7th, 2003 03:21 PM

This is really confusing!

If there are SEVEN terminals at LAX, where is United landing when it goes to Terminal 8?

MaryRay: do you and your friend have cell phones that will work in LA? I would highly recommend trying to keep in touch that way if you can. Our family doesn't know how we ever got together before cell phones!

There are the years BC, AD, and ACP (After Cell Phones)
Jason

rjw_lgb_ca Oct 7th, 2003 03:28 PM

Terminal 8 is accessible through Terminal 7, and incorporates gates 80 through 88. It is a United terminal (as is 7)-- especially the Shuttle services.

Deborah Oct 7th, 2003 04:24 PM

Terminal 8 is a fairly new terminal that United started using after Los Angeles became a hub for them. RJW is correct, you can get to Terminal 8 through Terminal 7. United uses all three terminals (6,7 and 8).

mrwunrfl Oct 7th, 2003 05:19 PM

Nice terminal map here, roll your mouse over the terminals:
http://www.lawa.org/lax/laxframe.html

http://www.los-angeles-lax.com/terminals.html

MaryRay Oct 8th, 2003 02:05 AM

wow...Thanks tons for all the replies. I thought I was asking a really simple question but I guess not. I'm positive that I'm arriving Term 2 on Northwest (and I guess everyone who replied is positive as well as no one questionned that point). I'm going to have her check her ticket again. She's flying United from Toronto, Canada connecting in Chicago. I'm going to have her call today.

If worse comes to worse, I fly in half an hour before her and I'll check the board and go find her - I can always page her. Not sure if our cells will work in LA??

Thanks again everyone!!

jason888 Oct 8th, 2003 06:33 AM

rjw: Hi, pal! Thanks for the information on LAX! Really helped!

Deborah: Thanks also for the info on Terminal 8!

So if we land at 8, we have to go through 7 to get out -

mrwunrfl: Thanks for the map website! Have saved it!

Jason

Cali Oct 8th, 2003 09:05 PM

We fly in and out on Northwest a lot and they definitely fly into and out of Terminal 2. I am also sure that your friend will be in Terminal 7 or 8 if on United. If you have the Verizon America Plan you can use your cell in LA Area. We have that plan and use all over the USA. Your best bet if arriving ahead of your friend is to take the shuttle to terminal 7.