LAX Neophyte - changing terminals and checking bags

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2012, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Experienced traveler, but have never had to change airlines or change thru LAX. We are flying to Loreto Mexico, starting from Sacramento on Southwest to LAX. We then have to change to Alaska /Horizon for the leg to Loreto. If we check our bags in SMF, will they check thru to Loreto or do we have to pick up and re check on Horizon? We have over 3 hours between flights.

I should know this stuff, but have always avoided changing airlines and LAX. Thanks for the help.

MY
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it is a code share flight you should be able to check your bags through, but otherwise you probably have to collect them. I would think you have to change terminals as well. And don't forget on your return you will have to collect your bags in LAX and go through customs. A call to the airline should clarify things for you.
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 03:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi, MY

Southwest doesn't interline bags.
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Janis - so we will have to collect our bags, go to the Alaska terminal and recheck? Perhaps we should do carry on size? If so,will need to hit Marshalls, Tuesday Morning etc.

MY
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 07:45 PM

Assuming janis is right, just collect your bags at terminal 1, then take the relatively short walk to terminal 3 and check in. You've got 3 hours plus. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up waiting 2 hours before you get to board your Alaska/Horizon flight, unless there's something about going to Mexico that complicates things. Terminal map here.

http://www.airport-la.com/info/terminal_map.html
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks db . On the way home will be tricky since we only have an hour and a half connection. But it is what it is and will have to play it as it comes along - or spend the night!
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 05:43 AM

I did a similar connection in late August, going from JetBlue to V Australia and vice-versa. I had no problems, but I think I got lucky since I had 2 hours or less for my connection both ways. You will certainly have no problems going to LAX unless your flight is really late.

On my return, my flight came into the Bradley Terminal and I had to go back to Terminal 3 for my JetBlue flight 90 minutes later. I got off the plane quickly, was through immigration in about 5 minutes, and had loads of time. But the folks at the back of my plane were in line at least 20 to 30 minutes. You'll be using the Bradley Terminal for your flight back from Loreto, but it's a longer walk from there back to Terminal 1 for your Southwest connection.

I'd certainly do all carry-on if at all possible; at least you won't have to wait for your bags to come out, though again mine came out very quickly from V Australia. You should definitely try to check in for your Southwest return flight online before you leave Mexico since you will no be able to check yourself all the way through in Loreto. Not sure if that will be possible, but I strongly encourage you just to make the trip easier.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 10:16 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Flying LTO-LAX you will be bused from your plane to the Bradley terminal, then go through immigration and customs, then take your person and luggage down to T1 for the Southwest flight home. TBIT to T1 is not all that close, and given typical lines I see at T1 for Southwest, I am frankly dubious that you'll make your connecting flight.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 04:25 PM

Since this is not a single ticket the risk of missing the ongoing flight is yours. I fyou miss the flight you will be considered a no show and will have to buy another ticket - possibly at a much higher price. If it were me I would look into getting a differnt flight now - when you have the option of doing so at minimal cost.