Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   LAX - is there a place to sleep in the airport? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lax-is-there-a-place-to-sleep-in-the-airport-596727/)

nancy161 Mar 6th, 2006 05:59 AM

LAX - is there a place to sleep in the airport?

I am booking an international flight that has a layover in LAX from 10pm to 7am. There are hundreds of hotel in the airport area, but with the time for transportation & check in/out of hotel, I probably won't have much time to sleep.
Is there a place in the airport where I can sleep (try to!)? Has anyone heard of "bed for rent" in airports?
Thanks all.

Jean_Valjean Mar 6th, 2006 06:09 AM

I've never heard of something like this at LAX.

Most hotels in Century Blvd. are 5 minutes from the airport, so transportation times are negligible. You can still get a good 5-6 hours of good sleep, a shower and a cup of coffee before your 7am flight.

lcuy Mar 6th, 2006 09:15 AM

Jean is correct...some of the hotels are closer than some of the terminals. There is a wyndham right as you enter the airport and many others with free shuttles. Otherwise for the same cost, you might just take a sleeping bag, stuff all your valuable and yourself in it, put on eye shades and snooze away. Leave the bag behind in the morning!

Have you looked at the sleepinginAirports.com website? They rate airports and give hints on best areas to sleep. LAX does not seem to score hig though...

LoveItaly Mar 6th, 2006 10:16 AM

I would think twice about leaving the sleeping bag in the airport in the morning. Unattended items can cause a serious security alert..and you don't want a problem with the authorities.

nytraveler Mar 6th, 2006 10:24 AM

I can;t believe that anyone would seriously consider sleeping in the airport - unless stuck in a blizzard or something.

First - there's the personal safety issue

Second - there's the theft of belongings issue

Third - there's the security issue (security people won;t let you do this- they'll wake you up, check out your bona fides and make you move on)

And finally - after an uncomfortable flight - and before another uncomfortable flight - who wouldn't take the chance for 5/6 hours in a comfy bed?

Any money you save will go to chiropracter bills.

baraka Mar 6th, 2006 10:25 AM

sounds like a movie a saw called "Terminal" with Tom Hanks.

FainaAgain Mar 6th, 2006 10:47 AM

Are there any longes with at least comfortable chairs for relaxing? Like VIP lounges, maybe for a small fee people are allowed in?

suze Mar 6th, 2006 10:55 AM

there's dozens of mid-range hotels spitting distance of LAX most with shuttle service. i would spring for a room! You could easily have a snack/meal, a shower and 5 a hour nap.

suze Mar 6th, 2006 10:59 AM

Hacienda for example advertises $79/night plus 8% tax and free shuttles "lowest at LAX"

lvk Mar 6th, 2006 11:03 AM

I would bid for a 3* on Priceline in the LAX zone. I've seen them go for as low as $30/night. Most have free shuttles to/from LAX.

nytraveler Mar 6th, 2006 04:11 PM

Many of the airlines have clubs there for members - and some allow you to purchase a single day membership. But typically these are not open 24 hours per day. They open only about a hour before the first flight out and close up after the last one leaves.

Pat2003 Mar 6th, 2006 05:03 PM

Nancy, get a hotel room. Your seatmate on your flight will appreciate you took a shower in the morning