Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Lawrence, Kansas- is anyone out there? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lawrence-kansas-is-anyone-out-there-719447/)

skl0224 Jul 9th, 2007 01:21 PM

Lawrence, Kansas- is anyone out there?

DH, 18 year old daughter, and I will be in Lawrence the weekend of the 21st for a wedding. Does anyone have any ideas for things to see or do (besides KU campus)?

Also, looking for recommendations for lunch in town. My knowledge is lacking since I haven't been there for 20 years.

TahitiTams Jul 9th, 2007 01:28 PM

Love Lawrence, KS!
We were just there last year and we had a delicious dinner at Free State Brewery and Quinton's for the best sandwiches..they are in the downtown area.
KU is a beautiful campus.

jbjayhawk Jul 9th, 2007 01:47 PM

Check out the hall of athletics located at Allen Field House. You should also be able to walk inside and look at the court. Even if you're not a basketball fan, it would be hard not to appreciate the history when you look up in the rafters. I haven't been for a while but the natural history museum on campus use to be decent. You could also stroll Mass street if the weather is good. Or go out to Clinton Lake and hike around a bit. You should drive thru campus as it is one of the nicest campuses I've seen and I've visited my fair share.

For lunch you could try- YellowSub on campus for awesome subs / Papa Kenos on Mass for large slices of pizza / El Mezcal for Mexican. I've haven't eaten there but I've heard good things about WA for sushi. There's an Indian restuarant off Mass that is also suppose to be good. Quintons has good sandwiches also. If you need a treat in the afternoon, grab some ice cream at Sylas and Maddies on Mass. If you like peanut butter try the peanut butter freak. If you want to stop for a beer, Free State is a good recommendation.

My wife and I both went to KU and while we don't live in Lawrence we visit probably 10-12 times a year for football and baskteball games. Overland Park is also about a 30 minute drive along K-10 highway if you want more options for shopping.

annieladd Jul 9th, 2007 02:01 PM

Lunch at Pachamamas, it's quite good.

There is a small art gallery on campus that had some very pretty things, not sure what it's called.

sunbum1944 Jul 9th, 2007 02:22 PM

Drive into Kansas City and have lunch at the Country Club Plaza

Keith Jul 10th, 2007 05:41 AM

My favorite place for lunch in Lawrence is The Orient Vietnamese Cuisine. But there are many other good places inclduing Free State Brewing Company, Hayes Hamburger & Chili, and the Mad Greek.

There are some good museums on the campus, particularly the Natural History Museum & Biodiversity Research Center and the Spencer Museum of Art. I also like Prairie Park Nature Center, which houses a display hall with a surprising large selection of plants, birds, insects, reptiles, amphibians, fish and small mammals.

I think you will be pleased to discover that Massachusetts Street is still vibrant and fun.

Keith

BeachGirl247 Jul 10th, 2007 08:14 AM

With both kids attending KU (one <i>still</i> there), we enjoy Lawrence but also enjoy going into Kansas City which is a short drive (about 25 minutes on the turnpike). Very easy to get to and lots of shopping and dining options in the Plaza area.

You have received great ideas for Lawrence which is a pretty college town. If you want shopping and more dining options I think you and your 18 yr old would love the Plaza area. Mine still do.

Check out the website for Country Club Plaza in KC:

www.countryclubplaza.com

One of our favorite dining places for location and food is Classic Cup. It has a little of everything. Also, chain restaurants as well such as Houstons, PF Changs, and Cheesecake Factory.

Have fun!

Keith Jul 10th, 2007 10:54 AM

If going to the KC metro area, Oak Park Mall is much quicker &amp; handier. While it isn't as cool, the shopping is better.

Better yet there is no toll on K-10, which has a 70 MPH speed limit and less traffic than I-70.

Keith

bbqboy Jul 10th, 2007 11:09 AM

Why go to KC when you're in Lawrence? Screwy. There's plenty to do in Larryland.
http://www.lawrence.com

Keith Jul 10th, 2007 01:06 PM

I agree, bbqboy. I wouldn't consider going to KC with just a weeeknd visit.

Keith

BoniseA Jul 10th, 2007 01:11 PM

Lawrence is my absolute favorite Kansas town. I used to visit there and KC all the time. Now that I live in KC, I appreciate Lawrence all the more.

Not that there is anything wrong with KC. It's a whole better then where I'm from.

skl0224 Jul 12th, 2007 09:19 AM

Thanks for all the replies! We don't want to drive into KC since we are there for an afternoon wedding. We are most likely going to eat at the Free State Brewery. I have heard good things both on this board and from family about it.

Also thanks for the input on non-food things to do. (I have to help decorate for an hour on the 21st) DH and DD can do some of those activities.