Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Is it a nice place to visit for some much needed R&R?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 04:01 AM
johnboy

I would like to take my husband away for his birthday. He definitely needs some rest and relaxation. I'm on a somewhat tight budget, but with one free ticket and $138 airfaire for the other, I thought LBTS would be a great, inexpensive choice. I understand you don't need a car - everything is within walking distance. I'm really looking for a laid back atmosphere within walking distance to a little shopping and restaurants. I can also get $138 airfare to Tampa (yes I know you need a car). Please share your thoughts. Thanks.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 04:27 AM
lori

Good a.m. LBTS is a quiet, and more residential community. If you are trying to do this without renting a car, I think you might be better off further up A1A closer to the larger hotels. There are a better selection of restaurants, easy access to the "water taxi" which would take you to Riverfront and Los Alas Blvd. We didn't find hotel prices to be any more or less expensive in LBTS or the main area. If you do go to LBTS there was a nice place, called Courtyard Villas. A bed and breakfast. The rooms looked very nice. If I stayed in LBTS I think I would have stayed at this place. Good Luck.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 05:01 AM
johnboy

Lori, when you say "further up AIA", are you referring to Pompano Beach? If so, it doesn't seem to get very good reviews here. Thanks.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 05:38 AM
Jane

I live and work right by LBTS & I'd do further South, towards Ft Lauder --its only another 2 mimles-- and that way you have the beautiful beach there, better selection of hotels/restaurants.
At LBTS you have a minimal choice of everything and you'll be bored in 1-2days at the most....Jane

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 05:46 AM
annie

Hi:
I agree with Jane. Head further south on A1A to Ft Lauderdale instead of LBTS. Love visiting there.

There really is nothing wrong with Pompano Beach either. I visit family there and enjoy it each time. That is definitely more of an R&R type of town. Another R&R town is Deerfield Beach. I stayed at a condo resort named Ocean Club.(?) right on the ocean. Me, a comfy chair, the ocean, palm trees and a great book. One of the most relaxing vacations I have ever taken. Good luck!

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Barbara

if you are on a tight budget then Lauderdale by the Sea is great. We stayed there, in a one bedroom suite, with kitchen, in april during spring break and our room was around $150/nt -- the room was quite basic, but the beach was very very nice. my impression of lauderdale by the beach was that it had a number of small, older, less luxurious motels/inns, some of which looked a bit run down, many of which looked just fine. If its the beach you are looking for and don't care that much about having a luxurious hotel, its perfect. And its easy to go elsewhere to eat. The Greater Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce (I think that's what its called) has a website called something like Superior Small Lodgings, and it has budget type places that are located all up and down the coast -- you can look there for accommodations. I would get a car, however, as i think the dining facilities in the area are limited, and there's nothing there that is really "cute" to browse around in -- you'd want to go elsewhere for that.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:20 AM
Run

OMG!! That is where Stephanie always talks about going! I would stay far far away from there!!!!

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Lori

I am sorry, I was not clear. When I said 'Up" I meant Ft. Lauderdale not Pompano Beach direction. Without a car, you will be better off in that area trust me. You can get by without renting a car and utilize the water taxi for getting around. There are many fine restaurants right along A1A, little shops, outdoor cafes. There is a great beach with a sea wall for strolling, little benches etc. Jane is correct, who resides there. I stayed at the Sheraton clipper which was right on the beach. An older hotel, not fancy, we paid $85.00 a night back in June.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 09:43 AM
johnboy

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I should have mentioned that it will only be a 3 or 4 day trip with a lot of beach time. I guess, however, that I'll look into renting a car (I'd have to pay for a cab ride from and to the airport anyhow) and check out some places to stay in Ft. Lauderdale instead of LBTS. Thanks again.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 10:15 AM
jt

Car rental - nonsense! Airport taxi - nonsense! $100+ hotel - nonsense! At least on the web Fort Lauderdale looks like a rare paradise for a budget visit without cars. Airport vans to the beach for $8. Motels on Birch just off the beach around $50. Watertaxi shuttles get you the length of the beach and downtown riverwalk/malls for nothing ($10 3 day pass) and cruise to Miami on Saturdays. See http://www.broward.org/gfi01000.htm

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 10:44 AM
lori

You are very welcome glad to offer some advice. Johnboy, you do not need to rent a car. It is not necesary there for the length of time you are there. There is a Jungle cruise, you can take, for 3 hours, or an all day tour, or go to Miami beach, on Sat. Just take a van to wherever you are staying. the water taxi is 5.00 all day and it will take you all around. Have fun.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 11:11 AM
JS

Skip it and go someplace nice. As in the west coast of Florida. Southeast Florida is the armpit of America. When the locals (myself included) want to go to a nice, quiet beach, we head to Naples.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Stephanie P.

Johnboy:

I'd definitely recommend Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, FL (love this place). I went their twice and stayed both times at the Coral Key Inn. The 1-BD suite has a full kitchen, walk in closet and huge king bed. It is right across the street from the ocean on El Mar Drive and direct ocean access is right there once you cross the street. This location is not a problem since no motel can be more than 3 stories high so every place feels close to the ocean. The Coral Key had to raise their rates a few dollars but still a bargain (under $100/night - I think $84 off season) and I'd like to go again early next year to this town. There are some tourists shops and restaurants to walk around and see. There is a small mall on A1A with a grocery store and pharmacy which is nice and is within easy walking distance. I drove north on A1A and walked to Pompano Beach via the ocean and was not impressed by it, too many people and (LBTS) is way less crowded - if you both need R&R, you probably don't need wall-to-wall people (Fort Lauderdale is too crowded also). You can always take a Pompano Beach bus or take a taxi to Fort Lauderdale (5 miles south) if you want to look around.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 04:24 PM
Topsy

To the Top