Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Lauderdale by the Sea - best choice? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lauderdale-by-the-sea-best-choice-471580/)

snorkelcat Sep 1st, 2004 06:40 PM

Lauderdale by the Sea - best choice?

I am planning for next summer (so bear with me if you see me posting other Lauderdale questions from time to time)- I will be in Ft. Lauderdale for a few days pre-cruise and was interested in the following:

1. Nice place on the beach to lay on chair and listen to the ocean
2. Budget to moderate price
3. Breakfast included a nice option but not required

I have heard that Lauderdale by the Sea is nice and was wondering if you had any suggestions for hotels in that area. Thanks

Stephanie Sep 2nd, 2004 12:34 AM

coralkeyinn.com, extremely short walk over non-busy El Mar Drive with direct beach access when you cross the Drive. All building, motels included, have to be 3 stories or less so wherever you stay feels like you are close to the beach. There is a big grocery store, with smaller shops too, within easy walking distance of the hotel I mentioned. LBTS is an absolute delight, the crowds are WAY SMALLER than Ft. Lauderdale.

JoJo1 Sep 2nd, 2004 04:48 PM

We've stayed at Villa Caprice and enjoyed it -- right on the beach -- in LBTS - definitely recommend it....

GoTravel Sep 3rd, 2004 06:44 AM

I like the Seaward Apartments and the Captain's Quarters but BuffaloGirl had a less than stellar stay at the CQ.

snorkelcat Sep 4th, 2004 08:15 PM

Thank you for the replies. Has anyone stayed at A Little Inn by the Sea?

Stephanie Sep 5th, 2004 10:14 AM

snorkel:

I suggested that hotel because it was oceanfront and the lobby and staff were quite elegant but heard that the walls are thin and you can hear your neighbors easily. Can only speak for Coral Key - no real huge amenities but I couldn't hear the neighbors and every room has a nice little kitchen, for convenience it is close to the ocean, just across El Mar Drive, don't know the people who own it but its a nice little place to stay.

hlsam Sep 5th, 2004 01:08 PM

I stayed at the Little Inn last year and said this:

I stayed at A Little Inn by the Sea, recommended by people on this website. "I'm glad I stayed there, but I'm not sure I would again. Because it was a holiday weekend, I paid more than what I think a room there was worth ($89). The pool was very uninviting, but since my room was steps from the ocean, that didn't really matter."

There were some other places that looked a bit nicer.

luugis Sep 18th, 2004 02:00 PM

We have stayed at High Noon Resort which is right on the beach, on ElMar Drive, and convenient to everything...
we went once in January and once in June, when it was quite a bit cheaper.
Just loved that place, clean, quiet, nice pools, they share with next door property Sea Foam, and I have convinced my parents to stay for a month this winter...