Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

L'Auberge vs. Enchantment in Sedona: why the price diff?

Notices

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 05:46 AM
Cammie

Both of these Sedona resorts seem to get wonderful reviews by those who've been there. Hence, I'm trying to decide between the two. Here's where I'd like some guidance...

A junior casita suite w/ fireplace at Enchantment runs $475/nite (we arrive Nov. 14). A Creekside Cottage w/ fireplace is $380/nite at L'Auberge. Can anyone tell me why there's a @$100 difference between the two? Is it worth the extra money to stay at Enchantment?

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:06 AM
Kitty

Was in Sedona with my husband about a year and a half ago and stayed at L'Auberge and was not impressed. Stayed in the Ceekside cabin or whatever. It was outdated and dirty and for the price outrageous. I mention my dissatisfaction at that time but front desk seemed not interested so wrote a letter of complaint and didn't get a reply. Good luck Sedona is a nice place to visit.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 09:36 AM
Anita

Hi Cammie. You'll love Enchantment. The junior casitas are wonderful . . . the bathroom is huge, everything is new and clean. The service is wonderful, etc etc. Enchantment is one of my favorite resorts. Go and enjoy.

FYI, when I book I normally call their reservation desk and sometimes I'm able to get a rate that is less than the rack rate listed. Give it a go!

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 09:57 AM
kam

Another vote for Enchantment. The setting in Boynton Canyon is unbeatable--red rocks all around you. Try to eat outside on the patio just at sunset to watch the colors change. I never stayed at L'Auberge but am not impressed by what I've seen. We were at Enchantment in early June and paid $250 per night, but I can't remember how we got that rate, sorry. Another sweet little place is the Inn on Oak Creek which has fireplaces as I recall, but is very small and run more as a B&B--good breakfast and appetizers in the afternoon. It's on Oak Creek across from the golf course so a totally different ambience from Enchantment.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 10:02 AM
tommy

I have not stayed at either, but recently dined at L'Auberge, and thought the meal was excellent. Atmosphere, food, wine, service all exceeded expectations. Thought it was worth mentioning since the lodging side seems to be lacking.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 10:12 AM
Dick

We stayed at L'Auberge a few years ago.

The setting is over rated.

We visited Enchantment and fell in love with the incredibly natural setting.

The only drawback is that you won't be staying right in town...if that is drawback at all.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 05:44 PM
Jerry

The $100 extra for the jr casita suite at Enchantment is for: a room that is less than 2 years old, best rooms on the property, and a setting of unmatched beauty.
L'Auberge peaked a few years ago and has been on the decline. Needs an infusion of capital for a refurbishment.

BTW, the extra $100 is more than worth it. Once you've been there you'll see why.

Also, many of the standard rooms at Enchantment are getting tired and dated. Not all rooms there are great. The new jr suites are definitely the way to go.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 09:36 PM
Jacqueline

Cammie-
Enchantment...hands down! As mentioned in a previous e-mail, the setting is spectacular and a wonderful location for beautiful hikes. The spa is fantastic and the guest rooms are newer and clean.

Go to L'Auberge to eat...stay at Enchantment.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Cammie

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my question. I've booked a jr. casita suite at Enchantment for our second honeymoon in November -- 15 wonderful years to celebrate. I cannot wait to see first-hand what you all have described here.

Cammie